Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Congratulations for a successful Release Review ...

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:
What's next?

Next week I'd like to start including the XSL component in the WTP builds, on the Eclipse 3.5 base and start making progress on the 1.0 Release (for next June, as part of Galileo). I'll leave it separately buildable, but with same pre-reqs as WTP, so you wont' have to wait around 6 hours but I'd like it to start being part of every wtp zip file.

Since WTP M1 is just a few weeks away, I'd suggest there not be too much new code/fixes until after M1 -- the goal would mostly be to get integrated, make sure all still runs with new pre-reqs, etc.
This sounds like a plan. I'm probably going to take a week or two away from XSL code as I help my summer of code student wrap some stuff up, and get a proposal ready for the Incubator anyways. I like the idea of trying to get 1.0 ready for Galilieo.

What after that?

I think then, besides the normal milestones, the next big checkpoint for XSL component will be a graduation review in the spring, probably April (after EclispeCon rush, but before release crunch). Between now and then, we'd simply be adding new functions, participate in the WTP project just like you owned the place, and start building up a good user base. Then graduation will be a breeze.

Any objections? Other plans?
No this sounds good. To help with planning here is a link to the current product backlog. This is for items target at either --- or Future, and in a New, Assigned, or ReOpened status.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&classification=WebTools&product=Web+Tools&component=wtp.inc.xsl&target_milestone=---&target_milestone=Future&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

Personally, I think a few themes are needed.

1. Enhance the Debugging experience (I already see Doug has a few items here). Particularly we need a result view and the ability to see the value of nodes. I'm sure some other suggestions will come in from the community as well. It would be nice also to set break points in the input XML file as well or break based on an XPath statement.

2. Improve/Enhance content assistance. Particularly add some more content assistance for call-templates and the parameters, as well as named templates. Add content assistance for result prefix exclusion, and enable EXSLT content assistance if the xslt namespace is included.

3. Enable XSLT syntax coloring for the XSLT namespace. This would allow for differentiation between non-xslt elements and those that belong in the xslt namespace.

4. XPath 2.0 parsing support. This should be enabled for XSLT 2.0 stylesheets.

5. XSLT 2.0 specific content assistance. There are some additional items that we can enable, like xsl:function content assistance for XSLT 2.0 user defined functions.

I'll add some bugzilla milestone targets for 1.0 M1, 1.0 M2, etc.
Can we get a 0.5 version added as well. This will allow users and adopters to report bugs against the 0.5 version.

Dave

Back to the top