Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Extensibility of XSLT editor menus, popups,

I'm happy for you to take on this part of the work. It is important to get a plan together, and to keep the rest of the world up to date via the wiki. The planning itself needs to be a consultation process. It needs to be realistic too - I'm sure we all have full-time jobs so we need to keep the size of the tasks manageable.

OK - lets work on a milestone plan that we can use. I do want this to result in the XSL code getting published to an update site early on - the earlier we get it there the sooner we can work on ironing out the bugs. I'll explain why I think we can do this.

I think that there are 2 streams of development here as per the proposal at  http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/incubator/proposals/XSLTools_proposal.html.

1) XSL launching + debugging.

2) XSL editing capabilities and validation.

Stream 1 is actually quite mature because it has been based on existing mature code that has been converted. My aim is to get this up to scratch within the next 2 weeks - that means documentation, JUnit tests and integration with the WTP build process. This is the spit and polish.

Stream 2 is much less mature - we need a great deal more than spit and polish here, so milestones for this are distant.

The point is that the 2 streams are more or less independent. You can deliver one without the other, as long as the plugins are suitably arranged. And the sooner we deliver something - even if it is just stream 1 - then the better for us because we get to know how the process works and get people using and testing it for us. As Konstantin points out, it looks like we should be getting it built as a separate distro first.

So what I would like to propose is that in the first part of the plan we make a determined effort to get stream 1 to production quality and released. Then we turn our attention to stream 2.

In other words, we can get stream 1 to RC1, while stream 2 is still at M1.

Is that sensible?

Doug