Re: [wtp-dev] WTP JSDT call

On 10 Nov 2015, at 17:04, Doug Schaefer wrote:

Just as an update to the group, we have working QML parsers using Acorn for CDT¹s Qt support and are working in extending tern.js to understand
QML objects. At the moment, we haven¹t tried to integrate that into
Eclipse but will make a best effort of it to make sure it¹s fast and
scalable.

I¹m pretty confident we can make it happen and have already contributed to Acorn for things we¹ve needed. I think that¹s an important intangible in
this discussion. If we need changes, the tern/acorn communities seem
pretty friendly to us.

Doug.

+1
This sounds excellent. IMHO extending projects like acorn/tern and integrating that with Eclipse JSDT is a good way forward. I would actually consider JSDT done if all we have in the JSDT repository is extension points and a curated build recipe for collecting the
implementations from communities out there.

All the talk we have about replacing/extending the current JSDT parser may sound like we are trying to achieve the opposite. However we only update the parser because JSDT's current functionality needs to serve us well until the communities create better
alternates.

--
Gorkem

On 2015-11-10, 2:03 PM, "wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Gorkem Ercan" <wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of gorkem.ercan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 10 Nov 2015, at 10:35, Tom Schindl wrote:

Hi,

The question is what is the AST required for. eg
Tools mostly operate on AST, it is much efficient for tools to use AST
instead of the text document
for things like analysis, conversion, validation etc.

I've used Nashorn a
while back to get a simple AST from JavaScript, although I think it
does
not yet support ES6 and it naturally does not do all the
type-inference.
Does anybody know how Netbeans does his JavaScript stuff? Do they use
Nashorn?

I have not looked but it would be interesting to know.

I tend to think in small services and an editor needs the following:

Prio 1:
-------
* Syntax highlighting (lexical)
* Outline
* Autocomplete
* Error-Reporting
* Doc-Hover information

Prio 2:
-------
* Syntax highlighting (semantical)
* Refactor/Rename
* Debug

who are potentially totally decoupled from each other! Whether
semantic
highlight is important depends heavily on the language. I think for
imperative languages it is not a must but for something like CSS it
is.

Tom