Re: [wtp-dev] WTP JSDT call

On 10 Nov 2015, at 9:58, Angelo zerr wrote:

Hi Gorkem,

Here my comments :

Use typescript language services

I'm not a big expert with TypeScript, but I don't understand how to
TypeScript could manage simple JavaScript like:

var elt = document.getElementById("");
elt. // here Ctrl+Space shows HTMLElement methods

Use acorn(or esprima) parser
> Requires node.js to run

What is the problem with that?
Not a fan of spawning a new process every time JSDT needs to parse Javascript. Parsing actually happens a lot on JSDT for instance every hover, setting a breakpoint potentially causes a parse request.
What about using J2V8?
Yes, this is an option that I have not experimented with. It may just work for parser use case.

> AST tree needs to be converted to a Java model

Why JSDT need that?

The current mechanism of JSDT works with the internal AST model. For instance when setting a breakpoint JSDT uses AST model to determine the exact location to set the breakpoint. The alternate to converting the AST received from parser is to modify JSDT in all places to use the new model. Also you should consider that the AST model received
from acorn/esprima does not have a Java model counterpart at this time.

Regard's Angelo

Hi ,
Today's agenda for the call is now online [1]

We will be reviewing the renewal architecture [2] and try to discuss and
hopefully
conclude on the proposals. I would appreciate if you can take a look at
the discussion on [2] and contribute
either by attending the meeting, on the mailing list.

Also attached to the agenda screencasts for the JS debugger that Denis has
been working to revive. I feel that we are ready
to move forward with this work and contribute it to JDST.

[1]
https://wiki.eclipse.org/JSDT/Confcalls/Minutes_20151110#Meeting_Agenda
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/JSDT/JSDTRenewalArchitecture

--