Re: [wtp-dev] Draft JSDT plan is now on Wiki

From: <wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 10:43 AM
To: "wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] Draft JSDT plan is now on Wiki

On 10/14/2015 04:38 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Has anyone tried to approve node? I thought Cordova gave that a go but failed. Or was that specific to Cordova?
We're exactly discussing this right now with Gorkem on the #eclipse-dev IRC channel ;)
Since the goal is not to ship Node, the dependency is a bit similar to the one CDT has on external compilers and debuggers. Do you know what IP trick CDT uses to work with CDT ? I believe the dependency to node, or Bower, or Cordova CLI are similar. It's relying on an OSS binary that's meant to be already available on user's workstation.
Also, does CDT provide wizards to suggest installation of GCC ?

Yeah, not sure you can depend on what CDT’s done. I think we’ve been grandfathered in since CDT’s been calling out to GNU tools since day one before the Foundation and it’s legal staff even existed. And I’m not about to disturb that or CDT would be dead.

I look to what Xtext has done when installing ANTLR. It’s a pretty horrible experience and I’m sure we can try and do better. But they do download and install the otherwise rejected ANTLR code generators at build time after asking the user if it’s OK.

I would hope that if we ask the user if they accept the license to whatever we’re downloading that accept, we should be OK. But it would be good to get a real ruling on that instead of “hoping”.

And I’m glad you mentioned Bower. The cloud environment I’ve worked with includes grunt and bower to build the front end pages. Node is becoming as standard a runtime as the JRE is. We need to be in that game if we’re to become relevant so I don’t get tweets like this at me:

https://twitter.com/BryanHunt/status/654264921484427264

Doug.

Back to the top