Re: [wtp-dev] Nashorn Debugging

On 17 Mar 2015, at 12:16, Harald Wellmann wrote:

Yes, that's just the stuff I'd found out for so far (i.e. DebuggerSupport
according to JDK-8044798), see my first message. I've also looked at
NetBeans sources to get an understanding of how to gather of script source
line info by tracking ClassPrepare events for
jdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script* classes. That looks like the easier
part of the story.

cool.

The harder part (at least for me) is how to fit this into the JDT and JSDT design. (I'm familiar with Eclipse plugin development in general, but not
really with J(S)DT details.)

I'm also learning in this area - might need to try grab a JDT guy to help ;)

So far, I've created an alternative NashornLaunchDelegate for the standard Java debug launcher to create extra breakpoints for DebuggerSupport and Script* classes in the JDIDebugTarget. This should eventually let me step from Java into JavaScript code invoked from a plain old Java application
via ScriptEngine.

sounds cool - so just to verify I grok it right - does this require user launch the debugger as a "nashorn launch" or will it work on any Java launched app that debugger gets
connected to.

(Directly launching a *.js source like jjs does would be
a different story, which I'm not considering for now.)

yeah thats different.

There were two issues:

- JavaClassPrepareBreakpoint does not handle wildcards in class names. I
had to extend this class.

because nashorn generates wildcars into the class names ?
Maybe submit patch to JDT for that ?

- ReferenceType.allLineLocations() throws an AbsentInformationException
when at least one of the methods of the type has no line info. The JDK
implementation returns all line info that's available and only throws an exception when NONE of the methods have line locations. The JDI Javadoc is a bit vague about this, but I would consider this as a JDT bug. (The point is that the Script* classes generated by Nashorn do contain line locations only for those methods corresponding to JavaScript functions or top-level
scripts, and there are some other methods without line info.) As a
workaround, I iterate over the methods myself.

sounds like another bugfix for JDT.

Now my next idea is to create a new IJavaScriptDebugTarget implementation which delegates to the JDIDebugTarget, transforming JavaScript debugger commands/events to JDI commands and events and vice versa. Does this make
sense?

I think so - can you share your code somewhere ?

Maybe push to gerrit  ?
/max

Regards,
Harald

Okey, so I reached out to netbeans guys and he confirmed to me it is
really underdocumented, but
apparently the DebuggerSupport class is part of the key and the only known
public documentation for it
is in this example: https://github.com/wickund/nashornexamples

this is showing how a debugger can connect to nashorn over the debug
protocol.

Interested in picking up that challenge ?

/max