Re: [wtp-dev] WTP Build issue

As I mentioned on a bug somewhere, map files were necessary when it was heavy weight to create branches. With git, branches are almost free. Most projects I work on create topic branches for commits they don't want in a build yet and then merge them to master when they're ready. No need to have a manual mechanism to do that.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30.
From: Mickael Istria
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:59 AM
To: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Reply To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] WTP Build issue

On 01/07/2014 11:18 AM, Nitin Dahyabhai wrote:
The build is not a mystery box to only be understood by an elite few, especially when we're moving to CBI.
Big +1 !
However, the tag and update map files rocess is easy to forget... (just like it's easy to forget to update a submodule to a newer commit with CBI).

So
* For legacy builder
** On master, map file should be updated to use tag v201312231745
** On branch, map file should be updated to use tag v201312231800
* For CBI builder
** master submodule should be updated to point to commit 45d8ed2d52eea3f82941e148f3144c162e957b8d
** branch submodule should be updated to point to commit 7f06c3653d488bfc352d20806a0cb7c0a2b27599
Instead of commits, the aggregator (submodule) could use the tag as well, or even a branch with most recent versions of git: https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.8.2.txt#L186-L188 . IMO, it's just fine to drop the concept of tags and to use only commitId (which are as good as tags). Tags could be used only for released versions to ease the work of contributors.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top