Re: [wtp-dev] (no subject)

Hi Meri,

Thanks for your comments and interest in Dali.  I will respond to your questions in-line.

Neil

On 2/12/2012 4:11 AM, Mária Jurčovičová wrote:
Hi,

I recently started to use Dali sub-project and found it neat and useful. Thanks for the good work.

I would like to see the source code of JPA related part and maybe contribute something.  Finding out how to start was more difficult than I expected. Hopefully, someone can answer my questions.
It sounds like we have some more work to do to ease the getting started process.   Luckily there are many here who can help you get started.  This is jumping ahead, but there are many on the dali-dev list who would be able to help.  There isn't a lot of traffic on that list, but it is well monitored.

Theoretical questions:
* Is there an interest for outside contributions?
Absolutely.  It can be tough to get started with Dali contributions giving the underlying complexity of the technology itself, but we have had many successful contributions over the years.
* Do you have some documents I should read before starting?
Yes, I would recommend starting here - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Dali_Developer_Documentation.  This should answer many of the practical questions below.
* Is this the right mailing list? I found also dali-dev mailing list, but it has only weekly status reports in it. Plus, Dali web page has a link on this one.
dali-dev would be the best mailing list to use.  It will have the specific Dali community you are looking for.  It looks like when the web page was refactored we lost our specific mailing list link.  I'll look into that.

Practical questions:
* Is there a document that describes what should I download and how to build that?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Dali_Developer_Documentation
* Do I need all 90 projects from this repository? http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/viewvc.cgi/org.eclipse.jpa/components/?root=WebTools_Project
There is one set of unneeded projects that are currently only serving as a shell for maintenance builds.   In the "jpa" component, you will only need plugins that begin with org.eclipse.jpt.jpa.  All of the others are unnecessary for head development.  As to whether you need all the remaining plugins probably depends on what you are interested in doing.  Generally speaking,  committers on the project have all of the "plugins" plugins and "tests" plugins in their workspace.  A separate Dali workspace is probably a good idea. : )
* The above repo depends on missing bundles, where do I get them? Do I really need them all?
All of these external dependencies will be a part of your target platform when developing Dali.  When you build a target platform all of these bundles will be included, so there is nothing specific you will need to do to get them.  And yes, Dali has many external dependencies, most of which are Eclipse and some of which that are not.  See http://wiki.eclipse.org/Dali_Developer_Documentation for information on how to build your target platform.
** javax.wsdl
** org.apache.commons.collections
** org.apache.velocity
** org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.db.generic.ui
** org.eclipse.emf.codegen
** org.eclipse.jst.common.annotations.controller
** org.eclipse.jst.common.project.facet.ui
** org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.core
** org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ui
** org.eclipse.jst.j2ee
** org.eclipse.persistence.core
** org.eclipse.persistence.dbws.builder
** org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.jpql
** org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.ui
** org.eclipse.wst.web.ui

With Regards,
Meri