Re: [wtp-dev] new branch for unit tests for XPath2 JDK 1.4 code base

Hi Jesper,
     I've some replies in-line please,

I think it is worth investigating moving the HEAD unit test suite to 1.4 as
well.

[mukul] I agree.

Xerces can't stay with the 3.2.x branch forever, it has severe performance
issues (waste of memory).

[mukul] The 3.2.x branch was created to provide 1.4 adopters like Xerces to
get benefits of functional improvements to the processor via this branch --
I think this need still exists, and therefore this branch should still
remain or an equivalent alternative should be available to the 1.4
adopters.

Since the processor is at least compilable under JRE 1.4 in HEAD (using the
jsr14 compilation tricks)

[mukul] For Xerces, I think we need a pure JDK 1.4 API PsychoPath XPath
processor. Unfortunately, it seems the Xerces community is yet not ready to
move to JDK 1.5 or even use an 1.4 emulation solution (this may be
technically possible for Xerces, but it would probably require a new build
strategy for Xerces and would need consensus within the Xerces community)
over a 1.5 processor.

Regards,
Mukul

I think it is worth investigating moving the HEAD unit test suite to 1.4 as
well -- surely, Xerces can't stay with the 3.2.x branch forever, it has
severe performance issues (waste of memory), since the processor is at
least compilable under JRE 1.4 in HEAD (using the jsr14 compilation tricks)

-Jesper

Back to the top