[wtp-dev] Fw: Server adapters and supporting BPEL module type

Re-sending to a much bigger audience.

Best Regards,
-- --
Mr. Angel Vera
Server Tools Developer
E-Mail: arvera@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 905-413-5919
-----
Those who think that something is impossible,
should not interfere with those who are willing to do it. - Angel Vera
----- Forwarded by Angel Vera/Toronto/IBM on 10/07/2010 12:18 PM -----

Angel Vera/Toronto/IBM

Rob Stryker <rstryker@xxxxxxxxxx>

cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx, "ccc >> Carl Anderson"<ccc@xxxxxxxxxx>, Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tim deBoer/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

10/07/2010 10:29 AM

Re: Fwd: Re: [wtp-dev] Server adapters and supporting BPEL module type

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay.

When I first read your email I was a little confused about what you were requesting. Perhaps it was due to my speed reading, but I wanted to sit down and read it in more details, before I ask any questions. With your second note things are more clear in my head now, thanks.

We can certainly discuss this on the call today, the basis of what you are describing was not how the framework was intended. The idea for the framework is that server adapters need to define what modules support for their server, I can only assume that it was written like this because it didn't make much sense to allow a server adapter to try to deploy a module for which he doesn't know anything about, thus how would this module be published? do I need some extra configuration?

If I am not mistaken Tomcat doesn't support BPEL out of the box, in such cases the the question becomes what should the eclipse server adapter support?

Perhaps there is room for improvement here. Where a new extension point should be added to allow an adopter (not the tomcat adopter but ABC.com) to add behaviour to the default tomcat server adapter to allow tomcat to deploy other types of modules that ABC.com provides. I can see there might be a bit of challenges in here so that the extension can work correctly and intercept in the publishing and all other process correctly.

There is a extension point out that there that was a moved towards this scenario. I don't have the information with me right now, but I can get it to you later.

Best Regards,
-- --
Mr. Angel Vera
Server Tools Developer
E-Mail: arvera@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 905-413-5919
-----
Those who think that something is impossible,
should not interfere with those who are willing to do it. - Angel Vera

Inactive hide details for Rob Stryker ---10/07/2010 01:57:17 AM---Hey guys: I was trying to drum up a little discussion on the Rob Stryker ---10/07/2010 01:57:17 AM---Hey guys: I was trying to drum up a little discussion on the list, but apparently

Rob Stryker <rstryker@xxxxxxxxxx>

"ccc >> Carl Anderson" <ccc@xxxxxxxxxx>, cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx, Angel Vera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Tim deBoer/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen@xxxxxxxxxx>

10/07/2010 01:57 AM

Fwd: Re: [wtp-dev] Server adapters and supporting BPEL module type

Hey guys:

I was trying to drum up a little discussion on the list, but apparently no one bit. To summarize, the BPEL project has been revitalized. They're using the flat component model and participants to expose it's members and such, and we want input as to whether this should be easy or hard for server adapters to consume. I believe it's easy, as jee tools already uses that method and it seems to work fine.

The second issue is getting current server adapters to support this. If the server adapters are written correctly, all they should need to do is zip up this archive according to the servertools API and shove it into a deploy location, same as they do for web / ear / ejb / etc. Assuming the bpel code is functioning properly, all that should be needed from servertools is the one or two lines in each adapter's plugin.xml that says they support "bpel.module" as a module type.

The third issue is a potential API deficiency in servertools and I was hoping we could chat it out. If I make a new project type / module type nobody knows about, and I make *SURE* it follows servertools API for module resources / child modules / etc, I still cannot get it to deploy to any generic servers because those generic servers must outline their module support explicitly in plugin.xml. This means any time I make a new project type, I have to come hound every server adapter to explicitly set support for it in their plugin.xml, not just to get support or wider recognition, but for the tool to even ALLOW you to deploy at ALL.

So if I make an ESB project / module type, and I know I can squeeze it into a tomcat installation, it won't work. If I make a bpel module type, and I know it's easily packaged and zipped same as ear / war, I can't. If I make wtpisAwesome.module, none of the server adapters can deploy it, unless they add to plugin.xml that they support it as a module type.

If your world view is limited to jee with 4 or 5 module types, this doesn't seem like a problem. But the whole point of a servertools API is to standardize deployment and allow arbitrary module factories to expose their resources in a way that any server adapter can consume them. Shouldn't there then also be an option for these server adapters to say they can deploy things they might not know about so long as they're exposed properly via the servertools IModuleResource API?

I had wanted to have a chat today about it on the con-call, but apparently there isn't one scheduled.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/JEE_Status_Meetings

- Rob