Re: [wtp-dev] Why plug-ins never get deleted?

I do not know how  .... there might be some way ... but I have heard something similar to "is up to p2 to decide when it can or should clean up and get rid of things ... so it can atomically optimize things as it sees fit" ... but, not sure how much of that "optimizing function" has been implemented, since I too see growth but no cleanup. One of the reasons they are not deleted is that one design goal is to be able to revert to previous versions, so ... may not be easy to coordinate all that, while at the same time making sure the user knew that whey could no longer revert to ... so that may be why they lean towards leaving things around (though, in theory a revert could re-pull from a repository).

Let us know if you find anything.

From:        Gabriel Petrovay <gabipetrovay@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        wtp-dev <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        10/02/2010 12:43 PM
Subject:        [wtp-dev] Why plug-ins never get deleted?
Sent by:        wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I installed several versions of some plug-ins. (uninstalling between installations) But at the end I get to have all versions of all plug-ins that I ever installed in the plugins directory of my eclipse. I also cleaned the "Installation History". Does anybody know how to get rid of the unused plug-ins?

Deleting does not work because when I try to install something else, it does not work any more, complaining that the missing plug-ins were missing.

Any clues?

Thanks!
Gabriel

--