Re: [wtp-dev] Exporting WAR and EAR files from scripts

Hi Grzegorz!

> Can you send me some links
> to documentation about it?

Sure:

http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/index.jsp

Enter "headless" in the Search box.

This will (among a couple of others) lead you to these links:

http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/guide/jdt_apt_building_with_apt.htm
http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/tasks/pde_build_advanced_topics.htm

What I have a hart time understanding is:

Many of the talk about a headless build is either about building Plugins or about other features which are probably used more seldom than just plain Java apps or webapps.

I spent a significant amount of time on lots of Wiki pages and Newsgroup discussions and I have been following quite a number of dead ends. For example, there is something which is called the "Galilo Builder", but it does not build any software (as in compiling, jaring, etc.) but it assembles a consolidated update site from binary artifacts which live on a number of update sites which are spread over different URLs.

Also a number of technologies / Eclipse sub-projects come your way while searching, such as

- Buckminster (also comes in the special flavor Buckminster Headless)
- Amalgam
- Releng

I mean, I know, Eclipse is a huge Ecosystem, so it's normal that it's not so easy to navigate. But my problem right now is that every question I ask (or even others ask) about this remain unanswered. Even an educated answer of someone who knows these stuff better than me, saying "what you try to do cannot be achieved because ..." would make me happy.

After all, it should not be impossible to start the Eclipse platform, use Buckminster to resolve and materialize some Dynamic Web project from some SVN repository, then call the project builders to build it (up to here I can make it work), then call the WAR export task to drop a WAR file into some directory.

And I really wonder why that subject does not even seem to be interesting for a lof of people here. It it really so much fun to maintain Ant build.xml files in parallel to your Eclipse project setup or am I missing something *very* obvious?

Regards,
Torsten

Grzegorz SÅ‚owikowski schrieb:
Hi Torsten

I didn't know this functionality (building Eclipse projects in headless mode). Can you send me some links
to documentation about it? I cannot find it. Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Grzegorz Slowikowski

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
Hi all!

My question is so basic, I have a hard time believing to be the first one to ask. But I failed to find a good answers.

I am developing and interactively testing Dyanmic Web Projects in Eclipse.

Now I want to export deployable archives. There is the Export WAR file ... menu item in the IDE, which does just that, and quite well.

But is there any way to have a WAR file exported from the command line, for example, in a headless environment. I can build my workspace by starting Eclipse headless, but it won't export my WAR file. At least, I haven't found out, how.

Would I have to duplicate my projects settings into an Ant build.xml file to archieve this?

Does anyone have anything better.

As a bottom line, I would like to be able to have Eclipse build a WAR (and possibly an EAR) file for me, for example, as part of a continuous integration process (think Continuum, Bamboo, etc.)

Regards,
Torsten