From: David Carver [mailto:dcarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:12 AM
To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.;
Campbell, Lance
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] XSL formatter stops formatting

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> In an XSL when you use   it puts the value of "nbrsp;" in the
generated HTML.  This is important because it preserves the spaces.
When I use the command <xsl:text> it does not preserve the spaces.  Is
there some way to get around this issue as an XSL editor?

xsl:text be recognized by the formatter as a Preserve space element
already. However, you can specifically tell it by adding the
xml:space="preserve" attribute to the xsl:text element.

Again, I think we have to fix the formatter issue bug that was described

earlier in the XML Formatter to fix this. If you are using another
formatter and doing reformatting with a stylesheet, you can and probably

should add xml:space="preserve" to the text elements. This article
should help a bit:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-tipwhitesp.html

Dave

On Behalf Of frode@xxxxxxxxx
> Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:43 PM
> To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
> Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] XSL formatter stops formatting
>

> "&#xA0; is not a legal character to have inside any XML, so that the
formatter stops formatting when hitting this charachter is no surprise.
Any other well-behaved xml-parser will also stop parsing the XML when
hitting this.

> Just try to open the file in any browser, and it will report illegal
character... IE will actually render the most of it, but will have
'error'-comment down to the left. Firefox will not display it at all.

> If You should try to create a DOM-tree with Jdom, and try to insert
this character inside any element it would throw an exception at You.

> In short; You will have to avoid this charcter inside any
XML-document..

> /frode
>

>              "Campbell, Lance"

>              <lance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>              Sent by:
>              wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

>              28.01.2009 18:07
Subject
>                                                          [wtp-dev] XSL
formatter stops formatting

>                       Please respond to

>              "General discussion of project-wide

>                   or architectural issues."

>                     <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> The XSL formatter stops formatting when it encounters "&#xA0;".  This
would seem like a trivial issue but we have very complex XSLs.  If I
cannot get around this issue I don't think I will be able to use this
tool for XSL editing.  Is there something I can do to resolve this issue
in preferences?  Am I posting this issue to the correct place?