Re: [wtp-dev] Generic Server Runtime Functionality

Hi Dominic, sorry for the delayed answer.

> Is this the correct list to post these questions to?

This list is for the WTP committers and contributors, newsgroups are better.

> Can a generic server have debug support, by clicking "debug on server"?
> The application server does have "Remote Java Application" debug support
> using jdwp.  Is this how the other server runtimes debug their applications
> (servers like tomcat, etc...)

Yes, It can, all the generic server based adapters support debugging.
Connecting to a remote VM is also possible. External (those servers
that are started with some other means than java ) generic servers
actually connect to VM remotely for debugging(even if  the serve is
local). If an external generic server does not fit your purpose it is
possible to replace the  LaunchConfigurationDelegate for your as well.

> Where can I find the source for the Tomcat server plugin source code?  I've
> seen the glassfish source, but haven't looked too much into it yet.

Codes for all the servertools are in the webtools CVS. Information  to
access CVS is here http://wiki.eclipse.org/CVS_Howto. The plugins that
make up the servertools are under servertools/plugins

>  Is there any place where I can find more information on custom server
> runtime plugin development?  I've checked a lot of resources but it seems
> many just talk about the generic server definition support like I currently
> have.

I do not think we have a document like generic servers documentation
that explains how to implement a custom server. What you need to
implement and how, usually depends on your server. I think it is very
hard to provide any guide that is useful for most servers but we do
provide the usual eclipse plugin and API documentation for the
servertools

I hope this was help.
--
Gorkem