[wtp-dev] WTP integration in the IAM project proposal

Hello guys,

We at the
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.technology.iam
IAM (Integration for Apache Maven)  project proposal have developed some
working integration with WTP for web projects.

As you know, maven proposes a model where the project descriptor has all the
information for building, packaging, etc... Our initial integration effort
will focus on applying the configuration described on this file to  the
Eclipse/WTP environment.

Current WTP support has been developed for WTP 2.0 on top of the facet
framework and utility classes like UpdateClasspathAttributeUtil.

Implementation is quite simple and
http://q4e.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/maven/wtp/core/src/org/devzuz/q/maven/wtp/core/postprocessor/WtpEnablerPostprocessor.java
available for browsing the project's svn : http://tinyurl.com/6he4sr.

When testing against the 3.0 milestones, we've noticed some API changes that
break our current implementation (most notably, method signature changes on
UpdateClasspathAttributeUtil.createDependencyAttribute()) :
http://tinyurl.com/5qggv2

I would like open a communication channel between IAM and WTP to enhance
current integration.

Our first round of questions:
  - Would it be possible to keep UpdateClasspathAttributeUtil backwards
compatible? (i.e. a version with a a single parameter calling the new
version with a default value for "isClassFolder", probably using "false")
  - What are the best places to start looking to automate Java EE project
configuration? (i.e. configuring facets)
  - Is there support for automatic deployment of projects referenced through
a Classpath Container? For example, for webapps, have the compiled classes
of dependent projects deployed under WEB-INF/classes. Pointers to extension
points or "hooks" on the deployment process would also be useful.

IAM Newsgroup:
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.technology.iam
Q4E is the initial code contribution for IAM: http://code.google.com/p/q4e/

Thanks!