RE: [wtp-dev] Please give it a try -> WTP Bach Build instructions

That’s not a really good solution as it disrupts other people and makes it difficult to release changes that do need to be released, especially if it takes a while to iron out potential problems. What do people do to test structural changes (changes to features and/or build)?

From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Helen Zhang
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:02 PM
To: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [wtp-dev] Please give it a try -> WTP Bach Build instructions

Hi Konstantin,

The easiest way to do this is to committing your changes in to HEAD, and then do an N build instead of an I build, specifying the project wtp-R3.0-N.  Contents in N build should be similar to that of an I build, and you'd probably want to know if it works in a N build as well... : )

Regards,

Helen Zhang
Release Engineer, Project Manager
Rational Architecture Management Project Management Office
Eclipse Webtools Platform (WTP)

IBM Toronto Software Lab | 8200 Warden Ave. | Markham | L6G 1C7
Email: hjzhang@xxxxxxxxxx | Phone: 905-413-3443 | T/L: 969-3443

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/21/2008 03:51 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [wtp-dev] Please give it a try -> WTP Bach Build instructions

Helen,

I was able to run a WTP build using these instructions. Thanks! Now I am trying to do a build with some local changes (to test those changes). Basically, I want to skip the whole "get stuff from cvs" phase and just build what I have. I do want to get as far as generating the build results page, etc. Any idea, how I could do that?

- Konstantin

Re: [wtp-dev] Please give it a try -> WTP Bach Build instructions

Thank you for trying Naci.

I've updated the wiki page with your suggestions.  As well as to comment out a line in the ant.sh file,  let me know if you can get further into the build  Thanks!

Regards,

Helen Zhang
Release Engineer, Project Manager
Rational Architecture Management Project Management Office
Eclipse Webtools Platform (WTP)

IBM Toronto Software Lab | 8200 Warden Ave. | Markham | L6G 1C7
Email: hjzhang@xxxxxxxxxx | Phone: 905-413-3443 | T/L: 969-3443

Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/12/2008 09:46 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [wtp-dev] Please give it a try -> WTP Bach Build instructions

Hi Helen,

Thank you for documenting the build.  I tried your instructions on a SUSE Linux 10.1. Here is as far as I could get I took some notes.  I will try more and report :-)

-------------

Just a personal preference - But I think it would be better to call it local builds as opposed to batch builds

Step 1)  Do I need JDK 1.5 or 1.4?   It would be good to clarify why they are both needed.
             It would be better to say 2.0.x stream requires...

Step 2)  The instructions assume that the build machine is a linux box. I think it would be quite hard ro run it elsewhere.  It would be good to make a note of that and maybe provide pointers for people who would like to try to build it on windows (i.e get cvs, unzip etc, put it on your path etc.)  Of course they will have to convert all the shell scripts.

Step 3) Checkout  failed as described on the wiki

cvs [export aborted]: absolute pathnames invalid for server (specified `/home/ndai/wtp-build

needed to use a relative path:

cd /home/ndai/wtp-build
cvs -Q -f -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/webtools export -d ./releng.control -r HEAD webtools.releng/releng.control

Step 4)  I did copy the localBuild files to ../local-props made the mods  - I was under the impression that I needed to copy commonVariations.shsource but I realized later it was not the case.

Step 5) ant.sh is not executable when you export from cvs, need to make it executable (chmod +x)

And running the command caused an error message:

./ant.sh: line 17: commonVariations.shsource: No such file or directory

Checking the file, I defined the environment variable RELENG_CONTROL and got a little further but ended with other error messages  (primarily complaining about Xvfb - and Java Home

ndai@killbill:~/wtp-build/releng.control> ./ant.sh –f cc_project_build.xml –Dprojectname=wtp-R3.0-I
~/wtp-build/releng.control ~/wtp-build/releng.control

   Project Home: /home/ndai/wtp-build/releng.control
   Build Home: /home/ndai/wtp-build
   DISPLAY: 127.0.0.1:1.0

   JAVA_4_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1_4_2-sun-1.4.2.16

   JAVA_5_HOME: /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_14

   ANT_HOME: /home/ndai/dev/apache-ant-1.7.0/

   PATH: /home/ndai/dev/apache-ant-1.7.0//bin:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_14/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-ant-1.7.0/bin:/opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-ant-1.7.0/bin:/opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:/home/ndai/dev/apache-ant-1.7.0/bin:/opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/bin:/home/ndai/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/opt/novell/iprint/bin

   BASEOS: linux
   BASEWS: gtk
   BASEARCH: x86

   LOCAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES_DIR: /home/ndai/wtp-build/localprops

   remember to check that X virtual frame buffer is running for headless JUnit testing
ndai     23597 23585  0 14:27 pts/0    00:00:00 grep Xvfb

~/wtp-build/releng.control
: command not found
Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
/bin/javaot execute /usr/lib/jvm/java-1_4_2-sun-1.4.2.16

Hi there,

Here's some instructions on how to setup a WTP batch build locally. Please
give it a try and see if these instructions work on your local box, and
any feedback is welcome (feel free to make updates on the wiki directly).
Please post questions on wtp-releng for any clarifications.  Thank you!

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Batch_Build

Regards,
Helen Zhang
Release Engineer, Project Manager
Rational Architecture Management Project Management Office
Eclipse Webtools Platform (WTP)
IBM Toronto Software Lab | 8200 Warden Ave. | Markham | L6G 1C7
Email:
hjzhang@xxxxxxxxxx | Phone: 905-413-3443 | T/L: 969-3443

Notice: This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information of BEA Systems, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it._______________________________________________
wtp-dev mailing list
wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx