[wtp-dev] Java EE server adapter questions

I'm an Eclipse and WTP newbie, so please help me get started!

I'm working on improving an existing Java EE server adapter which uses the generic server support. I've also just read through the Adding New Servers chapter of Eclipse Web Tools Platform: Developing Java™ Web Applications.

My questions:
1) Is there a document describing the types of things you can do with a custom server vs. a generic one? Is there a good tutorial on writing a custom one?

2) One of the things I was trying to do was improve the "Missing classpath entry" message in the New Server dialog when pointing at a location which was not really an installed server. I found that the Geronimo plugin does this in a WizardFragment subclass, but I'm not clear on whether I need a custom adapter just for this or I can provide a replacement WizardFragment for this. And, if just a wizard fragment, I see it is discouraged to subclass the built in org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.ui.internal.GenericServerRuntimeWizardFragment in internal packages... What is the best way to go about doing something like this?

3) What's the best way to control the color of my server console text? Right now it's all red - shouldn't that only be for errors?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks!
Rochelle

Back to the top