Re: [wtp-dev] Next version after 3.0

David M Williams wrote:

I'm probably in the minority, but I think every year should be a full increment. Why? Why not? To me, these numbers are nearly meaningless so why not assign the meaning "the yearly release".
Actually, I would disagree that they are meaningless. Typically, incrementing the major version number means you are breaking public API compatiblity for some reason or making something not backwards compatible. If no major breakage or redesign is planned (i.e. redesigning SSE or something like that), I think it sends a better message to just do a point release.

Perception is a strange beast, it's all based on ones view, as an adopter I'd feel more comfortable with a point release, only a major release if something major is breaking.

Back to the top