Re: [wtp-dev] Type support for Javascript frameworks in JSDT

The way JSDT currently works is it analyzes the parsed syntax tree of  a _javascript_ file and infers based on common programming practices (.prototype, etc) what object types are provided by that _javascript_.  Once these types are inferred, the outline, code completion, etc will work.    The problem with some Ajax libraries is they have library unique apis which define a type, so the generic inferring will not work well.

We are working on extension points to provide for pluggable type support for different ajax libraries.  The basic extension point is there ("inferenceSupport")
but it is not fully baked yet (APIs will change), and there is not yet any documentation or examples.    The idea would be that your extension recognizes your special qooxdoo calls which define classes and generated the appropriate inferred types.  We would welcome any comment/suggestions/contributions on this.

See the class "InferenceEngine" for the current generic implementation.

Phil Berkland
IBM Software Group Emerging Technologies

Matthias Kempka <mkempka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/02/2007 07:17 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Type support for _javascript_ frameworks in JSDT

Hi JSDT Developers,

Now that I set up my workspace with JSDT I'd like to add support for
_javascript_ frameworks like dojo or qooxdoo. Actually, qooxdoo is what
we are interested in, but whatever I do should be general enough to
support others also.

For a start, an outline and content assist would be valuable. I guess
I'll have to contribute to the AST some way.

So my questions are:

- Has anything in that direction already been done or planned?
- If yes, where should I start looking?
- If no, do you see problems coming up right away? Things that seem
obvious but are not worth a try or something..

Regards,
Matthias Kempka

--
Matthias Kempka