Re: [wtp-dev] Need to restructure our CVS Directories

Two notes already, from quick readers :)

1) Yes, this move will preserve all history of files (since we are not renaming the modules, just changing their parent directories).

2) This probably will invalidate patches attached to bugzillas, especially "workspace patches". Perhaps "project patches" would be ok?
Perhaps the effect or recovery for patches should be further investigated. Or ... we may just have to bite the bullet. But, if anyone has any patches
that are important or "near ready", perhaps we should get those in?

Thanks quick readers.

David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2007 03:09 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Need to restructure our CVS Directories

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_CVS_Restructuring

See the above document for the reasons why ... or, the reasons why I think it is necessary and desirable.

Initially I was thinking we'd do this "after the next milestone", but some I have talked to said "the sooner the better". Which, as far as I know, might be as early as after the next I-build!

So, please take a few minutes to understand the issues, and complain if that seems too disruptive too early.

The main disruption for committers is that you will have to create a new workspace ... and re-checkout freshly any projects you have in your workspace!
Hence, any code that "you have almost ready to check in" should be checked in ... even if not quite released for a build this week.

Additionally, any adopters that literally build WTP will have to adjust as well.

Also, I know there are some teams (such as VE) that have "team project sets" that will have to be updated to pull from the new repository locations.

Not to mention, our map files and perhaps our build will have to be modified to find the code. I would not be surprised if we don't have good builds for a few days while issues are sorted out.

So, it's no small chore.

Comments welcome.