Re: [wtp-dev] Getting an EMF resource from an ArtifactEditModel, given an IFile and not a deploy location

Chuck,

Both the suggestion you originally provided and the fix in the code drop work very well for the case that there is one source folder.  I'm able to calculate the deploy path for the file resource (previous suggestion) or find the correct resource even if I only use the project relative source path (fix from latest code).  So, much thanks!

But this brings me to the issue of multiple source folders.  We use the EMF model of the resource to aid in its editing.  We know how users can be (if only we could eliminate users, development would be so much simpler), and I'm pretty sure they'd want to edit files even if they're not playing quite so nice with the one-source-folder paradigm, so we at least have to consider the situation that they've set up multiple source folders.

If I use deploy path lookup, and I happen to have this setup:
    src
    |-META-INF
        |-persistence.xml
  src2
    |-META-INF
        |-persistence.xml

if I attempt to load the EMF resource for the second file, I'll actually get the EMF resource for the first file.  Not what you'd want if you're editing the second one.  Note that you can't *tell* that the EMF resource you're getting for the second one is actually the EMF resource from the first one (or at least I don't know how to tell.)  Also note that if there is *only* the second file, everything works great.

If I use relative source path lookup for the above example, the EMF resource works great for the first file, but the normalized URI for the second one is now ".../src/src2/META-INF/persistence.xml" and I get a FileNotFoundException attempting to load the contents of my EMF resource.  This is also the case if *only* the second file exists.

So.  What should our story be for multiple source folders?  Is this something that can be addressed in the WTP EMF code?

Paul Fullbright
Oracle Corp.
Eclipse Dali/Java Persistence Tools Development
paul.fullbright@xxxxxxxxxx

Chuck Bridgham wrote:

Paul,

I beleive I fixed your issue with my code drop last night, can you try again with your original uri?   the normailization routine had some problems.

- Chuck

Rational Java EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Paul Fullbright <paul.fullbright@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/29/2007 06:38 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Getting an EMF resource from an ArtifactEditModel,        given an IFile and not a deploy location

Ack, sorry, was wrong there.  It only uses that source URI for comparison purposes (normalization.)
Paul Fullbright
Oracle Corp.
Eclipse Dali/Java Persistence Tools Development
paul.fullbright@xxxxxxxxxx

Paul Fullbright wrote:

 Are EMF resources referenced only by their *deployment* URI's?  I seem to recall seeing that they were.  If so, is there any suggestion for having more than one resource with the same deploy path, but different source paths?  Or is this pretty much just completely disallowed?
Actually, on further review, EMF resources are referenced (eventually, in the ResourceSet) by their file location ("platform:/resource/ProjectName/src/META-INF/persistence.xml"), not their deployment location.  If there were a way to look up  an EMF resource through the edit model using this sort of URI, that's all that we would need.

Paul Fullbright
Oracle Corp.
Eclipse Dali/Java Persistence Tools Development
paul.fullbright@xxxxxxxxxx

Paul Fullbright wrote:

Chuck,
Because you are using the ArtifactEditModel.getResource api, we use our own internal "module:" protocol when constructing the uri.
The resourceset has a URIConverter that knows how to normalize this uri using the projects component model.  The projects "root folder"

is used to determine the offset, and I'm guessing this project uses the "src" folder.  Have you tried using the uri "META-INF/persistence.xml"?

If we know what exact file we're looking for, then yes we can do that.  For example, when we're validating, we *know* we're looking for "META-INF/persistence.xml".  No problem.  API works fine.  And yes, in the case of a jst.utility project, I believe the root folder is always "src".  Of course, we work with a number of module facets, so it's only "src" in this specific case.

Our problem is that we can have multiple files, and they really could be named anything or in just about any source or web content folder, if the user so wishes.  We build up our inter-resource (project-wide) model by scanning through the workspace and picking up all the files that are of interest to the JPA platform so that we can respond to file changes, renames, etc.  And we initialize the EMF models for those files at that first scan, at which point we only have the file location.  We could *assume* certain things about the file's location and what folder it's in, but I don't feel very comfortable about doing that.

So the ability to access the resource given only the file location is pretty important.

Most of our uri's are static, so we don't need to calculate the offset into the "deployed" path.  But if you have an IFile instance of your resource you can use:

IVirtualComponent component = ComponentCore.createComponent(project);

List folderList = Arrays.asList(component.getRootFolder().getUnderlyingFolders());  // All the folders that contribute to the root deployment path

IPath path = WorkbenchResourceHelperBase.getPathFromContainers(list, anIFile.getFullPath()); // Will find the first match(folder) that contains your IFile

I will try this out.  Thanks.

Are EMF resources referenced only by their *deployment* URI's?  I seem to recall seeing that they were.  If so, is there any suggestion for having more than one resource with the same deploy path, but different source paths?  Or is this pretty much just completely disallowed?

Paul Fullbright
Oracle Corp.
Eclipse Dali/Java Persistence Tools Development
paul.fullbright@xxxxxxxxxx

Chuck Bridgham wrote:

Paul - First I want to apologize for taking so long to respond...  I'm working on addressing these questions more regulary

There may be an issue here, but I first want to understand your scenario...

Because you are using the ArtifactEditModel.getResource api, we use our own internal "module:" protocol when constructing the uri.

The resourceset has a URIConverter that knows how to normalize this uri using the projects component model.  The projects "root folder"

is used to determine the offset, and I'm guessing this project uses the "src" folder.  Have you tried using the uri "META-INF/persistence.xml"?

Most of our uri's are static, so we don't need to calculate the offset into the "deployed" path.  But if you have an IFile instance of your resource you can use:

IVirtualComponent component = ComponentCore.createComponent(project);

List folderList = Arrays.asList(component.getRootFolder().getUnderlyingFolders());  // All the folders that contribute to the root deployment path

IPath path = WorkbenchResourceHelperBase.getPathFromContainers(list, anIFile.getFullPath()); // Will find the first match(folder) that contains your IFile

Hope this helps... Chuck

Rational Java EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:
cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Paul Fullbright <paul.fullbright@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/27/2007 03:37 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."
<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[wtp-dev] Getting an EMF resource from an ArtifactEditModel, given an IFile and not a deploy location

I'm trying to load an EMF resource from a project's (a jst.utility
project in this case, but this should work for any jst.* project) edit
model.  I have the actual file, therefore also its full path or project
relative path, which in this case is "src/META-INF/persistence.xml".

When I call:
  artifactEditModel.getResource(fileURI)
  (where fileURI is the URI for the project relative path above,
"src/META-INF/persistence.xml")
the edit model normalizes the path to
"src/src/META-INF/persistence.xml", assuming that what I've given it is
the *deployment* path for the resource.  It assumes, that since it can't
find the virtual file for "src/META-INF/persistence.xml", that it
doesn't exist, but that if it did exist, it would be at the same
relative location in the first source folder for the project.  This
seems wrong, because I'd expect that it would first see if there's an
*actual* resource at the given location before trying to make such an
assumption, but maybe there's a reason for doing this that I don't
understand.  So the end result is that the edit model tries to give me a
resource for the project relative location
"src/src/META-INF/persistence.xml" (which doesn't exist) instead of the
project relative location "src/META-INF/persistence.xml" (which does exist).

Is there a way to either:
  - easily find the deployment path for a source path?  (If I give the
actual deployment path for the file "META-INF/persistence.xml", then the
normalized path calculated will be correct.)
or
  - better specify the URI of my file resource so that the edit model
can find my EMF resource?