Re: [wtp-dev] JPA (Dali) versioning in JPT manifests?

Nope,

I think we got a little over zealous on our "updates" for 2.0 here.  This does indeed need to be corrected for the milestone.  Thanks for the heads up.

Neil

David M Williams wrote:

I've just noticed that many (or all) the Dali projects have had their version number increased to "2.0.0" for our forward (Ganymede) stream.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this is correct.

Plugins/bundles should _always_ follow the strict versioning rules outlined in
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering

So a change from 1.0 to 2.0 would mean "breaking API changes".
I'm pretty sure that's not the case (especially, if you don't have API, I don't see how you could break them :)
and certainly would not be each and every bundle?!

Each bundle needs to be versioned according to the changes going into it ... there would never be a "mass update" of bundle versions.

Features, on the other hand, we've decided can be a bit looser since they are not really a runtime construct, so they could be 2.0 ... eventually ...
But, I would strongly suggest not changing the features until we are further along ... there's still time enough you might decide not to call it "2.0" after all,
and it is impossible to "go backwards" with versions.

So ... am I missing something? Or does this need to be corrected before our first milestone this week?
I'm sure there might be valid reasons for it ... but, I'd be surprised, since I haven't heard about them.