Re: [wtp-dev] how does wtp add external classes and project to tomcat runtime classpath?

Hello,

This mailing list is for ongoing development of WTP. In the future, please post usage questions to the newsgroup.

Adding jars to the Tomcat launch configuration in WTP is equivalent to manually editing startup.bat to add classpath entries. As with most servers, this is not a best practice - you should be putting jars in WEB-INF/lib if they are used by a single Web app, or using the server's shared library if used by more than one.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

bhomass <bhomass1@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/17/2007 04:55 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] how does wtp add external classes and project to tomcat runtime classpath?

using wtp, when you set up a launch configuration, you are able to add
dependent projects and external jars. at runtime, the application server,
such as tomcat, would know to find dependent classes based on these
references. But when I look up tomcat classpath setting, there does not seem
to be any way for tomcat to pick up external dependencies without modifiying
the startup script or load dependent classes right inside the
WEB-INF/classes or lib directories.

so how does wtp achieve this with the launch configuration. I looked at all
the artifacts generated by the launch configuration, and still can not see
how this is implemented. I have a need to add dependent class path to tomcat
in the same manner. can someone enlighten me on this?