Re: [wtp-dev] Testing from Europa Discovery Site -- in different locations

Also ... I'll add ... be sure to test with different features installed in different locations. This is settable about three dialogs of "next" using the update manager.

Due to various reasons, it is possible that update manager will install the same bundle at different locations, but only one of them gets activated for any particular session.

This will cause some odd looking messages in your log, such as the following:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 2007-06-05 23:25:25.609
!MESSAGE Could not install bundle ../WTP/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.commons.logging_1.0.4.v200705231731.jar
Bundle "org.apache.commons.logging" version "1.0.4.v200705231731" has already been installed
from: update@plugins/org.apache.commons.logging_1.0.4.v200705231731.jar

Notice the name and versions are identical. It is not obvious from the message, but I installed "WTP" in a directory called " ../WTP/" relative to the base Eclipse. And, "commons.logging" is used by base, and us, so it ends up installed twice and is just an informative message ... there is no real error in that. (this is desirable, since a whole location can be "disabled", resulting in a missing bundle if not installed twice).

So ... the thing to test is ... does anyone make any funny "file system location" assumptions that they should not be making.

I did test bottom-up webservice creation with this particular division of locations and it worked fine. (and think it is one case that "locates" and copies "commons.logging" to server?)
That means Kathy and the WebServices team have done a good job :) ... but has everyone else, everywhere?

As long as everyone is using "platform:" URL scheme things should work fine ... but ... for an extreme example, if someone were to "look up" commons.logging, and then assume from there where the "axis" bundle was located at some relative location, they'd be wrong in these cases.

Hopefully this is "old news" and no one does this ... just a reminder that there is a lot of testing still to do!

Thanks,

David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/05/2007 10:03 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Testing from Europa Discovery Site -- without JDT!!!

I just wanted to remind everyone to do some testing with Installs from the Europa Discovery Site.
Starting Wednesday the (built in) "Europa Discovery Site" should point to a complete set of RC2 of plugins.

Minimum:

One of the new things in RC2 is the ability to install WST without JDT!
This has been much requested by non-Java web developers, and has taken a number of
teams cooperating to accomplish.

To do that level of testing you should install (only) the Eclipse Platform (not the whole Eclipse SDK). And, I'd suggest the RC2 version,
even though RC3 is available. (RC3 platform should work too ... but, if bugs found, you might want to be sure it wasn't just from using an RC3 base, with
RC2 plugins).

For example, pick a Platform Binary from
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.3RC2-200705251350/index.php

then "find updates", pick wst, then "select required".
The result is a "tiny" install of just 70 Megs, and should give you the
ability to create and "run web pages" on HTTP servers.

Maximum:

On the other extreme, I'd recommend every one try installing everything from RC2 Europa, and then running through
any of your normal web development scenarios to be sure they still work as expected and there's no undue
interference from elsewhere.

Thanks all