RE: [wtp-dev] ArtifactEdits, Java EE 5, old code, and new code

Hi,

I have been away, sorry for not responding earlier.

I completely agree it would be useful to create a simple common interface for "all" versions, and this can be done selectively, and where it makes sense.

We have made good progress simplifying the new JEE5 interfaces  (removing EMF signatures), and we don't want to introduce any more complexity.
Kaloyan, can you track the requirements for a common interface between versions?
I would expect a common interface for common structural models such as Applications, EJBJar's, and Web Applications, and perhaps some of the root the containment objects (Servlets, Beans etc..).

Whatever we decide, the IModelProvider interface isn't tied to a specific interface, but utility classes could use the common interfaces.
I'm thinking these details are more appropriate post WTP 2.0 - especially if we agree the new JEE5 model api's are provisional, and can be modified for these types of revisions.

Gary - I'll check on the new factory class - it should be public.

- Chuck

Rational Java Enterprise Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

"Gerry Kessler" <gerry.kessler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/07/2007 04:32 PM

Please respond to
"gerry.kessler@xxxxxxxxxx" <gerry.kessler@xxxxxxxxxx>; Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] ArtifactEdits, Java EE 5, old code, and new code

I also agree.

On a somewhat related note, the old code exposed the factory for creating the J2EE EMF objects.  How does one create a Servlet, for example, using the new code?   I am using last week's IBuild, and the JavaEE EMF factory is internal.

Gerry Kessler
WTP JSF Tools Team
General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
RE: [wtp-dev] ArtifactEdits, Java EE 5, old code, and new code

I think Kaloyan has a good point.  I understand the desire to create a new set of models the "right" way and not be tied to limitations in the old models.  But is there some way to provide a common interface or some utility classes so that client logic does not need to be duplicated everywhere?

Thanks,

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"Raev, Kaloyan" <kaloyan.raev@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/03/2007 12:20 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] ArtifactEdits, Java EE 5, old code, and new code

Hello,

Let me explain in written form what I have tried to tell on the phone line.

Let's go to the validateDisplayName() method of the
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.operations.NewServletClassDataModelProvide
r class.
This method checks if the given servlet name already duplicates the name of
the existing servlets for this project. To do this the ArtifactEdit is
taken, then WebApp object and then the WebApp.getServlets() method is
called.

If I want to modify the code in a way to support the Java EE 5 case, I have
to use the new model provider's functionality.
So, I have to do the following:

1. Get the model provider for the project:

               IProject project =
ProjectUtilities.getProject(getStringProperty(IArtifactEditOperationDataMode
lProperties.PROJECT_NAME));
               IModelProvider mp = ModelProviderManager.getModelProvider(project);

2. Get the model object:

               Object mobj = mp.getModelObject();

This is org.eclipse.jst.javaee.web.WebApp in the Java EE 5 case and
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.webapplication.WebApp in the J2EE 1.4. These a
completely different interfaces and they do not subclass each other.

3. Call the WebApp.getServlets() method:

               if (mobj instanceof org.eclipse.jst.javaee.web.WebApp) {
                                // Java EE 5 case
                                EList servlets = ((org.eclipse.jst.javaee.web.WebApp)
mobj).getServlets();
                                // do further logic here
               } else if (mobj instanceof
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.webapplication.WebApp) {
                                // J2EE 1.4 case
                                EList servlets =
((org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.webapplication.WebApp) mobj).getServlets();
                                // do further logic here
               }

Now, here is the problem. The developer has to split his logic to cover
explicitly the two cases: J2EE 1.4 and Java EE 5. However, In both code
streams he does one and the same things, but with different set of
interfaces. It would be much nicer if the common methods between the two
different WebApp interfaces are assembled in a common abstract interfaces
that the two WebApp interfaces extend. This means that we have a base
AbstractWebApp interface and both:
               org.eclipse.jst.javaee.web.WebApp extends AbstractWebApp
and
               org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.webapplication.WebApp extends AbstractWebApp

In this case step 2 would look like:

               AbstractWebApp webApp = (AbstractWebApp) mp.getModelObject();

And step 3:

               EList servlets = webApp.getServlets();

This looks much nicer and the developer does not have to split his code
logic. This will also work fine without modification if new models (Java EE
6 ?!) are introduced by the model provider.
However, if the developer needs something special from the J2EE 1.4 or Java
EE 5 model, he still will need to class cast the abstract interface to the
specific one.

I hope my example outlines the benefits of having common roots for the J2EE
1.4 and Java EE 5 models.

Greetings,
Kaloyan