Re: [wtp-dev] Web Services node in the Project Explorer

Hey Kaloyan,

This web services node has no doubt caused more confusion and trouble than its probably worth.  Hopefully in the JEE5 and WTP 3.0 timeframe it can be redesigned.

The previous behaviour was to do a scan of the workspace, and if there were any web service artifacts, then the node would show.  If not, it would remain hidden, until any web service artifacts were added.  This was good usability, however it was determined this was leading to degradations in startup performance, especially on larger workspaces where this scan could be pretty exhaustive.  So, the J2EE team switched the behaviour to always show the node, and to only calculate the web service existence if expanded.  In this model, perhaps the filter should always be enabled to hide the node, but I think they did not want to break current users who when upgraded all of a sudden lost their web service node.  But we could try and investigate something else here.  I know Jess has also raised some concerns with this change.

Any thoughts?

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"Raev, Kaloyan" <kaloyan.raev@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/07/2007 03:27 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Web Services node in the Project Explorer

Hello,

In the last I-build, I have noticed new node in the Project Explorer - "JSR-109 Web Services".
I know that users can hide it from the Customized View dialog and I suggest that adopters can do this by default.
But I am wondering what is the purpose of this node and isn't it some kind of reviving of look and feel from WTP 1.0?

Greetings,
Kaloyan Raev

Senior Developer

NW AS JS TOOLS JEE (BG)