Re: [wtp-dev] Convention for "internal" packages

> Also, to correct something in Ian's note, and perhaps share an Eclipse policy that may not > be known to all. Ian said, "... since previously-used packages may no longer be accessible.". > Maybe it's just terminology, but it is Eclipse-wide policy that ALL packages and > classes are made accessible (exported in the manifest.mf file). If you all were thinking
> of having a different policy, then that should be reviewed.

Where is this policy documented?

--Cam

David M Williams wrote:

Yes, if you have one package that has both API and non-API Classes in it, then x-internal wouldn't help. I didn't realize that was the case you were talking about, so, something has to be done there no matter
what the new name would be, so just as well be 'internal').

You raise some interesting points about x-friends vs. x-internal that I was not aware of. In fact, I thought it was the reverse ... that x-friends automatically meant it was x-internal to all (but the few named as friends). So, I learn something new everyday.

But, I think x-friends is only appropriate for plugins within the same component feature. http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/arch_and_design/subsystems/SubsystemsAndFeatures.html
Guess we need to update that document to include JSF and JPA.

The good news is ... I have a solution for the Christmas tree effect I've been preparing,
and almost ready to send a note about!

*Cameron Bateman <cameron.bateman@xxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/10/2007 02:31 PM
Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
	Re: [wtp-dev] Convention for "internal" packages

Correct me if I'm wrong but x-internal applies at the package level, not
the class level.  How does one differentiate API from internal classes
if they are not separated into different packages by name?  And if this
is the case, what would be better as the differentiator than "internal"?

Also, x-internal has several serious problems that I can see.  First, it
only marks something "discouraged" rather than "restricted".  In JSF, we
turn off "discouraged" since otherwise our WTP dependencies light up our
warnings log like a (yellow) Christmas tree.  However, we do respect
strictly the "forbidden" flag, which is what you get if you use
x-friends.  Second, x-friends is actually *overriden* when you use
x-internal.

--Cam