[wtp-dev] Announcing some changes to WTP Project Management

Here's the note I promised at last week's status meeting, which I also just
posted on our newsgroup.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Announcing some changes to WTP Project Management

I'd like to document some recent changes to WTP's Project Management
Committee (PMC).

First, Tim Wagner announced last January he'd be resigning his WTP PMC
Lead position, effective in March. As the PMC Lead position is an
appointed position (not voted on) Mike Milinkovich researched, recruited,
and recommended to the Eclipse Board of Directors (and they approved at
their March 5th meeting) that WTP be co-lead by myself (David Williams)
and Jess Garms. I have been involved with WTP since it's beginning and
look forward to playing a larger leadership role. Likewise, Jess has been
involved with Eclipse for many years in the APT component of JDT so will
be a great addition to WTP-Eclipse leadership.

Second, at our WTP PMC meeting on March 8th, we voted in two new members
to the WTP PMC: Neil Hauge and Tim deBoer. Neil has long lead the JPA
project (which recently graduated from incubation!). Tim has long lead
the Server component of WTP and is quite familiar with all aspect of WTP.

Third, in the past we have documented that we've had Architecture,
Planning, and Requirements Groups in WTP to help manage these specific
areas, with 4 to 6 members each. In practice, these have not work as
"groups". That is, there have been few regular group meetings and even fewer
group deliverables. So, instead, we will assign individual PMC members to
be the focal point for these functions, and they will form groups, call
meetings, get help, etc., as they need. So, this doesn't really represent
a change in what we do ... but, we will be better documenting what we do.
In fact, there are even additional and important roles in WTP that PMC
members will fill:

Architecture: Tim deBoer
Quality: Neil Hauge
Requirements: Raghu Srinivasan
Education: Naci Dai
Planning: David Williams
Community Relations: Jess Garms

As a corollary of these assignments,
Tim deBoer will be our WTP representative to the EMO Architecture Council, and I,
David Williams, will be our WTP representative to the EMO Planning Council.

We will soon be better documenting what these roles mean and hope you
will see their positive effects in the year(s) ahead.

Please welcome these new members. We all look forward to your
continued use (and help!) with WTP.

Back to the top