Re: [wtp-dev] Help offer for weekly testing

Kaloyan,

It's okay, we won't bite....  I promise...  :-)

I think the help testing is a great idea and a great way for SAP to start to get more involved.  We also have a significant number of defects in the resovled state which are awaiting verification.  I think the clean up and verification effort there would also be a good task.  And since you are most active in J2EE and web services, I would suggest that's where you start.

Chuck, do you want to get with Kaloyan and get him started?  Or does anyone else want to grab their offer and run?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your willingness to help out in leiu of full legal support from SAP!

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"Raev, Kaloyan" <kaloyan.raev@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/01/2007 12:09 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Help offer for weekly testing

Hello,

Yesterday I have a talk with David and one of the topics that we had is that SAP would like to get more involved in the development process of WTP. Actually, the stakeholders of WTP in SAP are two teams that we can generally call "JEE Toolset team" and "WebServices team". The work of our two teams depends on the good work and progress of the WTP project.

At the moment we are not allowed to contribute people with status committers. This is because we are waiting for a global decision in SAP wheather SAP employees are permitted to contribute intellectual property to open source projects. This decision is very complex and may take some more months to be done. Meanwhile, during this time we are willing to help the WTP with activities that does not involve IP contribution. One example for this is testing. We can help the WTP committer with their testing activities that are part of the weekly development process. This way we will free resources to the committers, so they can make more progress in the development of new features.

At the beginning we can take over one smoke test scenario, e.g. Java EE Smoke Test. After we feel comfortable with the testing procedure and evaluate the actual efforts that we spent, we may consider taking over additional Test scenarios: WebServices Smoke Test, etc.

I would like to ask the committers to give their opinion wheather they see such kind of help to be appropriate. We feel most comfortable testing Java EE and WebServices components, because these are the fields that we work in. But, if we consider that we can spend additional resources we can take over testing additional components.

Greetings,
Kaloyan Raev

Senior Developer

NW AS JS TOOLS JEE (BG)