[wtp-dev] Utilizing ICU4J in Eclipse

As requested from today's WTP status meeting:
Here's the Eclipse Wiki page on ICU4J: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/ICU4J
It should contain everything you need to know about what it is and how to use it.

Here's the main gist of what was sent out before:

From the technical point of view, the requirement for us is to replace uses of the following classes from java.text with equivalent classes from com.ibm.icu.text.
BreakIterator
CollationKey
Collator
DateFormat
DateFormatSymbols
DecimalFormat
DecimalFormatSymbols
MessageFormat
NumberFormat
SimpleDateFormat
Calendar
TimeZone
In general, we don't need to replace these classes if your inputs are not localized. For example, using StringTokenizer to parse an extension point Id. However, if your inputs are user inputs, then chances are, you'll need to replace those classes.

**Use caution when using the icu4j's StringTokenizer.  I ran into some problems with it, and the wiki even notes that Eclipse did not use icu4j's StringTokenizer in Eclipse 3.2 because there were some lingering issues.

Amy Wu
Structured Source Editor
919.254.0299, T/L 444.0299
amywu@xxxxxxxxxx