Re: [wtp-dev] Unused and Misused WTP Extension Points

server.core.installableRuntimes is being used by Geronimo and WAS CE, and there may be others.

On Jan 19, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:

At least one of these extension points (org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.ui.wizard) is there for backwards compatibility. This particular one was introduced in 1.0 and deprecated/replaced in 1.5. So what should our policy be with regards to such deprecated extension points (and api for that matter)? Do we say that they get removed when they no longer come up in usage scans?

- Konstantin

From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Lanuti
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 8:58 AM
To: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wtp-dev] Unused and Misused WTP Extension Points

Take a look at the Extension Point Usage Scan Report: http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/apiscanner/reports/combinedExtPtUsage.html

There, you'll see the extension point usage scans for two of our largest adopters, IBM and BEA, as well as any extension point usages within WTP.  This report is interesting for two reasons:

(1) It may be worthwhile for us to design a mechanism, maybe using the component.xml, to declare extension points as API or as internal.  We have a lot of extension points which only have one reference within WTP, and it is probably debateable whether an extension point was the best solution there anyways.  It could be argued all extension points should be API by definition, but I know as a project, that's not how we're using them.  We have too many extension points with one internal reference for that to be the case.  I am especially thinking of those only used for classloading purposes.

(2) There are a number of extension points which aren't being used at all.  This is very alarming, and we should remove/clean these up for sure.

Extension points not being used:

org.eclipse.wst.common.emfworkbench.integration.ModifierHelperFactory
org.eclipse.wst.common.frameworks.ui.DataModelWizardExtension
org.eclipse.wst.common.frameworks.ui.extendedViewer
org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.ui.wizard
org.eclipse.wst.common.ui.properties.propertySections
org.eclipse.wst.validation.referencialFileValidator
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.J2EEModulePostImport
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.core.jndiBindingsHelpers
org.eclipse.jst.server.core.internalRuntimeComponentProviders
org.eclipse.wst.internet.monitor.core.internalContentFilters
org.eclipse.wst.server.core.installableRuntimes
org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.ui.ExtensionsSchemasDescription
org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.ui.WSDLEditorExtensionConfiguration
org.eclipse.wst.html.ui.deviceProfileEntryProvider
org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui.ExtensionsSchemasDescription
org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui.XSDEditorExtensionConfiguration
org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui.extensionCategories
org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui.internalEditorConfiguration

I can start opening defects for these unused extension points if you like.

Thoughts?

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861
by email and then delete it.