[wtp-dev] jee facets

Hello,

Recently our group is working on extending the WTP  Web services wizard with support for jee5 web services (only annotations currently). In this context we stumbled upon the algorithm used to determine whether a given project needs to be packed in an ear. This algorithm basically says that if a project is decorated with a facet different than jst.utility and jst.java then it's a jee/j2ee project and needs to be added in an ear. This algorithm is implemented in least at once place - ServerRuntimeSelectionWidgetDefaultingCommand .setDefaultServiceEarProject. This is somehow misleading and prohibits us from introducing new kind of projects (new facets) which are not necessarily packed in an ear. One solution of the problem would be to introduce a facet hierarchy, where each jee/j2ee module facet (jst.ejb, jst.web..) has a base facet - jst.jeemodule for example. Another way to implement this "extension" relationship would be with the current "dependency" relation. I.e. each of the jee module facets could depend on the jst.jeemodule facet. Such an approach would make WTP itself a bit more flexible and simple I hope as the check whether a project needs ear would be really trivial while in the same time it will not restrict the introduction of new facets by individual vendors.

So, do you think this makes sense?

Regards,
Hristo

Back to the top