RE: [wtp-dev] Question about Validate context menu in 1.5

I can certainly sympathize with the desire to not make this change for 1.5.3 due to translation and documentation impact, however we need to consider the impact this is having on users. From the user perspective this looks like a functional regression from 1.0.x. They used to get positive feedback that something has happened in response to selecting Validate XXX File. Now they get nothing when they select the new Validate action. We’ve had bugs filed internally that essentially say “validate is not working” due to this confusion.

- Konstantin

From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lawrence Mandel
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 9:55 AM
To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Subject: RE: [wtp-dev] Question about Validate context menu in 1.5

Yup...and we dropped the "Validate XXX File" menus for the DTD, WSDL, XML and XML schema validators in 1.5 in favour of going with the consistent validation framework approach.

I agree that this issue needs to be addressed. Personally I don't think the addition of a validating dialog is appropriate for 1.5.3 as it requires UI changes and there are therefore translation and documentation changes that will need to be addressed as well.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/03/2006 12:33 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

<wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject

RE: [wtp-dev] Question about Validate context menu in 1.5

Ah! The difference is that I was looking at the Package Explorer. It looks like the Run Validation was only present on files in the Project Explorer in the 1.0.x days. The “Validate XML File” would show up in both.

- Konstantin

General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
RE: [wtp-dev] Question about Validate context menu in 1.5

This is anapshot from 1.0, it is called Run Validation back then.

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/03/2006 12:10 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [wtp-dev] Question about Validate context menu in 1.5

I got a question about the Validate context menu in 1.5. We’ve had some people notice the difference from how this behaves between 1.0.x and 1.5.x.

1. It appears that Validate now appears on every file type, even ones that are clearly not being validated (such as .properties and .java). Is this expected? If so, could someone explain the reasoning for this change?

This is since .7, Validate action is a IResource contribution that is why it shows up in all of the files.

[kk] I don’t know about that. I just tried this again in 1.0.x. The context menu for an xml file shows “Validate XML File”. The context menu for say MANIFEST.MF does not have any validate items.

2. When Validate menu item is selected, often it is not clear what happened. In 1.0.3 a dialog would appear that would show whether the file validated or not. Is this expected? It seems a bit less user-friendly than the old behavior.

This is due to each validator run in a job, progressview is the place to see the status now.

[kk] Unfortunately, when validation takes a very short time there is just a brief flash and it is not clear to the user what has happened. It seems to me that when validation is explicitly requested via an action menu it should not run in a job. It should run in a modal progress dialog. Also a status message box should be displayed at the end. This is especially important when validation takes short enough amount of time that the progress dialog does not show.

Thanks,

- Konstantin

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.