RE: [wtp-dev] dependency-object in ear project .setting fileundocumented

I recently started noticing these dependent-object tags showing up in the component files. The last time I remember seeing these tags is back in wtp 0.7 days. Then they seemed to have disappeared until recently. Has something changed to re-introduce this behavior? What purpose do they serve?

- Konstantin

From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Stryker
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:58 AM
To: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wtp-dev] dependency-object in ear project .setting fileundocumented

I've been attempting to create a webtools-style faceted project that will mimic an EJB or Web project in ui and functionality to discover all that is involved in the process and, once successful, potentially use this infrastructure to create further project types.

To compare, I created an EJB project with an associated EAR, and compared it with my project type (an EJB 3.0 implementation) and an EAR for that as well. The EJB projects themselves and their .settings/* files matched almost identically, as was expected.

The ear projects and their settings almost matched identically except for the addition of a dependency-object tag in the .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component file. After browsing http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/wst/api/overview/componentCore.xsd, the dependency-object tag is not present in the schema.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with the component core APIs so this is new ground for me. I'm curious if anyone knows where the webtools ear got that line, while mine did not. It's possible I missed some line when copying webtools code, but I'm unsure of even the API to modify this file so I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

Excerpts from the two ear projects follow.

- Rob Stryker

Official EJB project via webtools:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project-modules id="moduleCoreId" project-version="1.5.0">
<wb-module deploy-name="Official30Ear">
<wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="/EarContent"/>
<dependent-module deploy-path="/" handle="module:/resource/OfficialEjb/OfficialEjb">
<dependent-object>EjbModule_1161800979593</dependent-object>
<dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
</dependent-module>
</wb-module>
</project-modules>

My implementation:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project-modules id="moduleCoreId" project-version="1.5.0">
<wb-module deploy-name="Test30EAR">
<wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="/EarContent"/>
<dependent-module deploy-path="/" handle="module:/resource/Test30/Test30">
<dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
</dependent-module>
</wb-module>
</project-modules>