[wtp-dev] We will have a 1.5.2 maintenance release around 10/29

In case anyone hasn't heard, we will have a quick maintenance release, roughly 10/29, in addition
to have another, 1.5.3, maintenance release approximately February 1 (which is the Callisto coordinated maintenance release).

The reason for this was a number of late-breaking bugs opened as 1.5.1 was finishing up.  Some are critical, (such as 158846)
and some currently flagged as 'major' but which are seen as huge regressions in some contexts (such as 158623).

None of these by themselves would have justified a "stop ship" of the Callisto maintenance release,

but it is believed there will be a set of 10 or so bugs which taken as a whole would be seen as some serious
regression from previous functionality. Many of these might not even be seen by the "average" WTP

user, but would frequently be seen in the context of some adopters use of WTP.

So, as to procedure and policies:

The same "shutdown" rules we had for 1.5.1 will simply continue on, since 1.5.2 has few weeks to be developed.
Namely, only the worst bugs, with the safest fixes, with the most review and the most testing should be considered candidates
for 1.5.2. And, they all need PMC review before being released.

We not only want to avoid regressions, but also want to avoid unnecessarily invalidating any completed testing, so any wide effecting
"change in behavior" would be discouraged.

You may have noticed I did a blind, bulk change of all existing bugs targeted to 1.5.2 and targeted them to 1.5.3, knowing that most
of those were assigned to 1.5.2 when 1.5.2 was being planed for several months from now.

So, if you do have a candidate for our new 1.5.2, you will have to (re)set the target to 1.5.2.

I suggest you go ahead and target it to 1.5.2, if you are pretty sure you will later be offering a fix and requesting PMC review.
That way we get an idea of "what's coming", and in some cases may provide feedback if it seems inappropriate for this
quick maintenance release.

The builds are all set up and running for 1.5.2. The builds that are already there in committers area as of right now are exactly the same as
the 1.5.1 builds ... I was just confirming they built ok, sent proper (lack of) notices, etc.

Let me know if questions.

Thanks

Back to the top