Re: [wtp-dev] Blocking socket calls on the UI thread

Hi Cameron,

Try setting the following system properties:

http.proxySet = true
http.proxyHost = <host>
http.proxyPort = <port>
http.proxyUserName = <username if authentication is enabled>
http.proxyPassword = <password if authentication is enabled>

For https connections, the system properties are https. instead of http.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/UMZ/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920
jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx

Cameron Bateman <cameron.bateman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/17/2006 04:21 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Wtp-dev <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Blocking socket calls on the UI thread

I have noticed that certain WTP components trigger a blocking call on
the UI thread when retrieving a license for a particular DTD/Schema.
While I understand the desire to launch  a dialog when license agreement
is required I don't understand why Eclipse needs to be crippled when the
user has already made copious "I Agree" statements when they installed
the tool.  This is especially frustrating for anyone who sits behind a
web proxy and can end up having to kill Eclipse because the license
dialog cannot connect and blocks the entire UI until time out on the
socket.

Where this was a merely a grievance before, it is a now serious problem,
because I am unable to write JUnit tests that trigger any of this
functionality because Eclipse just sits there, completely non-responsive
until the socket call times out.  Is there an environment variable or
something that I can set to enable proxying in a JUnit workspace (which
I want to automatically clear on every run, so simply setting a
preference won't do) or am I going to have to go in and figure out how
to set the preference store programatically in my JUnit tests?

Thanks,

Cameron