Re: [wtp-dev] Branching Strategy

We have previously used the convention of naming maintenance branches with the "maintenance" word and not associating them to specific maintenance releases. (Such as 1_0_maintenance.) I suggest we follow this convention again and name the 1.5 maintenance branch 1_5_maintenance. I think it is important to name the maintenance branches consistently so others can easily find the branch they're looking for.

As for the 2.0 work, I don't think there is any convention for naming branches with experimental work so as long as you don't use maintenance in the branch name I think you'll be OK. After 1.5 ships I'd expect that 2.0 work will continue in the HEAD branch.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/06/2006 01:11 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Branching Strategy

Does WTP have an official branching strategy? Does it matter if all plugins branch in the same way as long as the right versions end up in the map files? I’d like to start working right now on 1.5.1 and 2.0 tasks, but I do not want to hold the changes local until 1.5 ships. I am thinking about using the following branch plan for the faceted project framework plugins. Note that that 1.5 version of the facet plugins would ship from a branch under this plan.

            2.0 (main)

          |   1.5.1

On a related note, has a criteria been defined for the 1.5.1 release? What type of changes will be admitted? Will there be an approval process?

- Konstantin

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.