[wtp-dev] Minutes of the WTP Status Telecon, 2006-05-25

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.

[1] http://eclipse.org/webtools/development/status-telecons/index.html

Attendees

Amy Wu

Chuck Bridgham
David Williams
Jeffrey Liu
John Lanuti

Kathy Chan

Keith Chong
Konstantin Komissarchik
Larry Dunnell

Larry Issac
Lawrence Mandel

Nitin Dahyabhai
Rob Frost

Ted Bashor

Thomas Yip
Tim Wagner

1. Actions Items - Jeffrey Liu

Active Items

The following actions items showed some activity last week. [1]

None.

Open Items

The following action items are currently open [2]. Action items owners should update their status in Bugzilla prior to the status telecon. Thx.

None.

[1]
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=casesubstring&short_desc=%5Baction%5D&product=Web+Tools&chfieldfrom=7d&chfieldto=Now

[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=casesubstring&short_desc=%5Baction%5D&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

2. Community update - Lawrence Mandel

- Great conference, tons of people.

- I did a talk on Web services. Well attended, about 150 people. 90% of the people used Eclipse before, 50% used WTP.
- Demo WTP 1.5 RC2.
- Talked a bit about Callisto, JSF, Dali.
- People were interested in what's new in 1.5 and what's coming in 2.0. Interested in Java EE 5.0. Also interested to know if they can use WTP to automate testing for their application.

- At the exhibit, there were lots of interest in Java EE 5.0 tools and Callisto.
- People were interested in graphical editing support in WTP (we only have WSDL and XSD at the moment). People were looking for graphical editing for JSP, JSF, etc.
- Received both positive and negative comments about WTP. For example, someone commented that WTP doesn't work well in a team environment.

- NetBeans has some really nice tools in it!! Encourage people to play with it and learn about things that they did well.

3. WTP 1.0.3 Status - David Williams

David - First 1.0.3 M build this week. Thanks. We probably don't need to smoke test each week since the number of fixes going in is small.

3.1 WTP 1.0.3 approved bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.0.3/ramp-down-bugs-approval.html

Jeff - There are 4 bugs under evaluation, PMC members, please review them and cast your votes.

4. WTP 1.5 Status

Updated approval process for WTP milestones [1]

[1]
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/callisto.php

David - We will declare an I-build this week, please smoke test.

David - We want to declare RC4 next Wednesday. So, we'll smoke test again next Tuesday.

David - After next Monday night, no more fixes unless it's blocking.

David - Fixes in RC4 only need component lead approval. Also, send a note to the dev list with the bugs that were fixed.

David - After RC4, PMC approval. We'll hold as many calls as needed in order to speed up the approval process.

Kathy - What's the exact process for requesting approval?

David - Note to the dev list.

Kathy - Will a Web page be available?

Jeff - Yes, I'll create a Web page.

David - We have a code freeze after RC4. After code freeze, only serious bugs will get fixed and they will require PMC review.

4.1 WTP 1.5 Build Status - David Williams

4.2 WTP 1.5 Hot Bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=%5Bhotbug%5D&classification=WebTools&product=Web%20Tools&target_milestone=1.5%20M4&target_milestone=1.5%20M5&target_milestone=1.5%20M6&target_milestone=1.5%20RC1&target_milestone=1.5%20RC2&target_milestone=1.5%20RC3&target_milestone=1.5%20RC4&target_milestone=1.5%20RC5&target_milestone=1.5%20RC6&target_milestone=1.5.1%20M151&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

4.3 WTP 1.5 Hot Bug Requests [1] - Jeffrey Liu

Owners should update the bug status
prior to the status telecon.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=%5Bhotbug_request%5D&classification=WebTools&product=Web%20Tools&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

4.4 P1 Bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=WebTools&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&priority=P1

4.5 Blocking Bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=WebTools&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker

4.6 Bugs to be Triaged [1] - Jeffrey Liu

We're down to 62 bugs to triage (as of 10:30 AM EST May 25, 2006). Great work! QA owners should triage these bugs.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=bug_severity&y_axis_field=qa_contact&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=WebTools&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=inbox&format=table&action="">

4.7 Bugs Targeted to Past Milestones/Release Candidates [1] - Jeffrey Liu

There are currently 45 bugs targeted to 1.5 M4, 1.5 M5, 1.5 M6, 1.5 RC1, 1.5 RC2 and 1.5 RC3. These milestones and release candidates have already been declared. Bug owners should retarget these bugs.

[1]
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=target_milestone&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=WebTools&product=Web+Tools&target_milestone=1.5+M4&target_milestone=1.5+M5&target_milestone=1.5+M6&target_milestone=1.5+RC1&target_milestone=1.5+RC2&target_milestone=1.5+RC3&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&format=table&action=""

5. Other Business - Open

Jeff - Treat TVT bugs like other bugs. If there's nothing to be fixed in WTP, resolve them as invalid.

Jeff - For translation bugs that concern strings not being externalized, please add a comment in the bugzilla indicating which plug-in, which properties file the strings are located.

Jeff - We have not done any accessibility testing. Just a heads up, I'll try to get some accessibility checklist by next week.

Kosta - I am concerned about the meaning of the target milestone field. Problem is that there's no good way to indicate which milestone a bug will be fixed in. We have bugs that were targeted to 1.5 M6, then rolled over to 1.5 RC1, RC2, etc... I propose we have a general target called 1.5. If a bug is intended to be fixed in 1.5, but we don't know exactly which milestone it's going to be fixed in, then we set it to this target.

Lawrence - I am concerned that people will just target all their bugs to 1.5, and eventually the ones that we cannot fix will just get rolled over to 2.0, etc...

We ran out of time, the discussion will be continued on the mailing list.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/UMZ/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920