Re: [wtp-dev] Untriaged defects....

Arthur,

This is not the first time this has happened or the first time we have suggested removal of these ambiguous queues.  Make no mistake, it is a HUGE deal when ~80 bugs go unnoticed until when we are in release candidate mode.  We were specifically told not to monitor this Web Standard Tools queue because we were assured the defects would be triaged accordingly.  So, here we are...again.

Proposal:  We use wst.web instead, and drop Web Standard Tools so this can be proactively avoided.

Reality:  This will never be an issue again because now I know it is incumbent upon me to include this queue in my queries and I and other diligent committers will keep it up to date.

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"I know this lady way down in my country.
She is so pretty that my eyes throw disguises at me.
Now we will sit and we'll wonder about our future,
But now I'm thinking that today sounds fine to me."  - Of A Revolution

Arthur Ryman <ryman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/05/2006 09:33 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Untriaged defects....

Chuck,

The subproject leads own those components. I own the WST one. I thought I was keeping up, but was shocked to see so many untriaged. I don't know how they slipped by.

Many users don't know which component to assign a defect to so they just use the subproject. Also, there are some cases where a bug affects an entire subproject, or even the entire project.

I suggest we keep these, but watch eachother's backs. We should routinely do a query on the inboxes and route them to the right components.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Chuck Bridgham <cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/04/2006 05:05 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Untriaged defects....

No that should be removed too....    I would rather have the originator guess wrong, and see it moved to the right component, then have it sit there unseen.

- Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/04/2006 04:58 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Untriaged defects....

If we choose to remove this component is there any value to keeping the "J2EE Standard Tools" component?

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx
Chuck Bridgham <cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/04/2006 04:41 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Untriaged defects....

It was brought to our attention this week that we have many untriaged defects sitting in various "inbox's"

A Majority of these were in the "Web Standard Tools" component where there is no clear owner, and it was brought up in the past this component should be removed from bugzilla.

Unless we have active triaging on this component, I vote to remove this component ASAP, to avoid this situation in the future.  Many of these defects should have been openned in components that I own, and

we had no idea they existed.

I want to thank John Lanuti for triaging many many defects in this component today, but we strongly vote to terminate this abandoned component.

Thanks - Chuck