[wtp-dev] Please "leave room" in plugin version numbering, from 1.0 to 1.5 streams

There's too many plugins for me to track each one, but I've noticed a few cases where some unnamed teams have had a 1.0.1 plugin for our 1.0.2 maintenance release,
and then for our 1.5.0 release have numbered it to be 1.0.2.  (Ok, it was one of Tim's .. .I know he doesn't mind me picking on him :)

So, thought I'd post this "public" reminder to be sure to "leave room" in plug-in version numbering sequences when moving from one major stream to another.

This is a good example, since, even though highly unlikely, imagine if we have a 1.0.3 maintenance release and Tim had to make a fix in that plugin, there is no "room" left between
1.0.1 and 1.0.2 to properly identify the plugin as "more than" 1.0.1, but less than what whatever is in the next major release ... so, I'd recommend that next major release version be numbered 1.0.101
just to "leave room" in the number range.  Of course, maybe Tim has all this figured out and it really should be 1.0.2 because he is never ever going to fix more bugs in that code :)

... but, just wanted to remind everyone there is a whole new level of responsibility in numbering our plugins correctly that we are not used to, so, please review carefully, and let me know if you have specific questions or concerns.

Thanks much.

Back to the top