Re: [wtp-dev] Re: Expression Language Support in JSP

Cameron, I am not familiar with the issue, so feel free to open a bug with a patch that represents your findings and proposed fix.
Some JUnit tests are always helpful.

I'm not sure we had settled on having modelQueryExtension as an official API next release (WTP 2.0) (or removing it), but sounds like you are leading the way in finding it worthy of being an API, so we'll be glad to see your results!

As far as what the method does ... I think you are in computeCompletionProposals which does what it sounds like, and is our team's effort to set the Java Programmer's World Records by having the worlds longest method with the most if/then/else clauses :)  We realize it basically incomprehensible, and is on our long list of things to re-write ... but in the mean time, by all means, suggest a patch to keep you going! Usually, seeing a patch is the easiest way for us programmers to communicate on technical questions. We'll be able to tell if your suggestion is in line with others, or if its something completely different ... and we'll go from there.

Thanks.

CAMERON.BATEMAN@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/21/2006 02:34 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Re: _expression_ Language Support in JSP

Thanks for the guidance David.  I have such an integration question with respect to the modelQueryExtension extension point and its use by JSPContentAssistProcessor:

When I have an attribute like blah="sometext" and I activate content assist within the attribute value, my callback fires ok on my modelQueryExtension implementation.  However if I have an attribute value containing an _expression_ language identifier such as "${}" or "#{}", then the modelQueryExtension is never called.  I have traced it to JSPContentAssistProcessor:793 in the M4 code where an instanceof check catches an attribute encoding for the latter but not the former even though both seem to be attribute value region types.

Is this a known issue?  I could not find a bug in Bugzilla, but will open one if no one is aware a duplicate.

It is a significant problem for us in the JSF project because it means that we cannot use this extension point to offer content assist for JSF EL.  I am more than happy to help with a patchfix for this issue if I can get a little assistance understanding the function in question in more detail.

Best Regards,

Cameron

> One of the things we discussed was that JSF-integration questions could be asked on newsgroup or
> mailing list and we would answer them as best we could.
> Additionally, there would be biweekly such "joint design and planning" calls for a while to be sure
> questions were being answered.

> Sorry I can't be more helpful, ... its only a shortage of time, not interest.

----- Message from David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx> on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:50:34 -0500 -----
[wtp-dev] Re: _expression_ Language Support in JSP

We had a "joint design and planning" call with JSF team on Friday, (We you on it? Sorry, I didn't catch all the names, and have not seen any minutes/notes from the meeting yet).

One of the things we discussed was that JSF-integration questions could be asked on newsgroup or mailing list and we would answer them as best we could.
Additionally, there would be biweekly such "joint design and planning" calls for a while to be sure questions were being answered.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, ... its only a shortage of time, not interest.

CAMERON.BATEMAN@xxxxxxxxxx

02/20/2006 04:51 PM

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
_expression_ Language Support in JSP

Hello,

I'm looking into doing EL support for the JSF sub-project.  I have noticed that considerable work has already been done to support EL in JSP including parsing, content assist, validation etc.  Who would I contact to learn more about current plans for functionality in 1.5 and how we might hook the JSF efforts into what already exists for JSP under WTP?

Thanks,

Cameron