[wtp-dev] Here's how we'll attack excessive warnings in compile logs - Phase 1

After one big push to go from 1200 to 400 there's not been much further improvement ... and worse, I've noticed a little creeping upward.
while we'll never achieve zero, there's indications that some teams are not yet taking advantage of Eclipse.

I suspect that this is because currently, to "tighten down" the nicely provided compile time checking Eclipse JDT will do for you,
many are using a workspace settings in each developers workspace, ... and, if other projects have "broken" stuff, then the workspace
setting does not work well. (only about a one-fifth of our projects currently have project specific .settings files, so this tells me
this is easy to improve.)

Step 1: for each eclipse project you are responsible for go to the properties, Select Java Compiler and "enable project specific settings".
(at first, it will use what ever your workspace settings are, so you might want to first make sure those are correct, such as for Java Compliance settings should be set to 1.4, etc.

Step 2: Under Java Compile -- Errors/Warnings -- Unnecessary Code, make sure "Error" is selected for "Unused Imports".
(This is minimum bar! ).

Step 3. Fix any unused import errors, if any, and commit the whole thing to cvs (including new '.settings' folder, so others that check out
that project can "share" your settings.

And Phase 1 is just that simple.

Phase 2, will be to slowly tighten other settings, in Java compiler checking and PDE checking, etc.
The idea is to do tighten the obvious, easiest ones first, so there's no big huge churn.

But ... unused imports? There's few things I find more frustrating in these modern times.

As always feel free to disagree and find improved ways of fixing your stuff ... but ... its really got to improve,
and this was the best I could think of.

Target date for Phase 1 completion: Monday, 30th, 5 PM, Eastern (bot maintenance and next release streams).

Back to the top