[wtp-dev] Maintenance Stream ready for .qualifier ... and NEW consistency proposal

Last night I converted the build to the new form, did a few tiny tests and all seemed well. So,
please updates your runtime plugins to add ".qualifier" to the plugin version ... soon!
Its important we get all planned changed done by next Monday night's M-build, so we can
quickly find any surprising problem areas. (If you are releasing M changes today, be careful not to release to I also,
since its "smoking day" for I-builds.

To review:

Do NOT change test plugins (there's a flaw in our test scripts that has to be fixed first).
Do NOT change 'features' ... I'll do them, or we'll do them later. (I'm just concerned there
because many use that "0.0.0" "calculate at build-time" form ... so, I am not sure of easiest way
to handle those .. plus, the rule there is feature should "match" "most changed" plugin, so that
maybe a moving target.

DO
        1.0.0 --> 1.0.0.qualifier [if .qualifer is ONLY change]
        1.0.1 --> 1.0.1.qualifier

        fourth part, of other non1.0 plugins
        example, xerces
        2.7.1 --> 2.7.1.qualifier
        (technically the 2.7.1 refers to the version of the third party code, but still
        a good idea to encode our "packaging" version in there, since they do
        occasionally change with externalized string, icons, license, or something similar.

Feel free to use this generic bug to cvs commit these changes:
[123569] Need to add qualifier to version numbers

NEW: Let's use a "standard" form of CVS tag,  vYYYYMMDD_HHSS, since that's
now part of the version identifier.

Agreed? Other favorites to propose? (with strong arguments why significantly better?)

I'd like to propose this "new" WTP practice for consistency in these fourth field qualifiers.
Technically, its not required that each team use the same rule, and takes away
a little team discretion, but, once started, each team must consistently use the exact same rule.
So, having a project wide rule will help in some auto-checks, scripts, etc., and
I'm sure will make things easier for future maintenance, etc.

that fourth field is alphanumeric, plus hyphen and underscore.
Time is needed, I propose, because some teams do release more than once per day, occasionally.
I'd like to enforce this standard, since if someone mistakenly uses a hyphen one time,
and an underscore the next  (or, vice versa) , or forgets the time .. then, that' is permanently "broken" and would
take a manual delete to remove the anomaly from an installed plugin.

Bonus points: cvs tags are ideally done in UTC time .. but hard to remember, and current tools encourage
"local time" .. so, try getting in the habit, but no need to be obsessive about it, as long as "monotonic" function
is maintained in version numbers.

Back to the top