[wtp-dev] WTP 1.0.1 Bug Triage

The PMC reviewed the 1.0.1 bug status yesterday and we identified some actions.  A total of 225 bugs have been targetted to 1.0.1, of which 86 have been fixed. This number is probably too high for a maintenance release. Only high benefit, low risk fixes should be made. Our goal is to improve the stability and quality of 1.0. However, we caused several regressions in the first M-build. Please take extra care when making fixes in 1.0.1. Make sure you test them adequately. Add JUnits to detect regressions if possible. If a fix looks risky, then defer it to 1.5.

Component leads should carefully review the targetted fixes. It is better to make fewer safe fixes than too make a lot of risky fixes. Defer risky fixes to 1.5. Naci and I will be going over the targetted bugs with the component leads for JST and WST respectively.

Recall that our plan is to ship 1.0.1 a few weeks after Eclipse 3.1.2 is released. Assuming that Eclipse 3.1.2 is shipped at the end of January, we'll need at least a two-week shutdown period. Only stop-ship fixes will be approved during the shutdown period, so plan to address all key bugs by the end of this month.

Bugs on the Hot List, and other high priority bugs, must be addressed first. That is why we have a priority field. Please focus your efforts on the high priority bugs now. Our goal is to have 0 unresolved bugs on the Hot List asap, and certainly by the end of the month. Fixing these high priority bugs will give the most benefit to our adopters and users.

Of 43 Hot Bugs for 1.0.1, 25 have been resolved so far, and 18 remain. Please review the following unresolved list. All bugs on this list should be moved to the ASSIGNED state asap. We'll go over their status at the telecon tomorrow.

18 bugs found.
103467 maj P2 gilberta@xxxxxxxxxx darren.redmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxx NEW wst.ws 1.0.1 M101 UDDIElement.getChildElementsByTagName function is not abl...
108837 maj P2 cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx yenlu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW jst.j2ee 1.0.1 M101 Random threading errors similar to 104237 in M8
108859 nor P2 jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx REOP J2EE Sta 1.0.1 M101 Fixing incorrect copyright statements in jst and wst plug...