Re: [wtp-dev] Compiler level on the 1.5 stream

David,

Do you have supported platform/jre matrix for WTP 1.5? I assume it is different from http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_3_2.html#TargetOperatingEnvironments, right?

David M Williams wrote:

Good timing ... I've just finished checking with the Eclipse base, and discussed (via email) with rest of WTP Architecture group.

In short, no, we are still building and testing at 1.4.2_08 level libraries -- and, I recommend we continue to -- unless specific project needs dictate otherwise, and even in those cases, these rules would be "relaxed" on a plugin by plugin basis.

For committers, this means in your development environment, leave the compiler compliance level set to 1.4, which actually means that .class files are compatible with 1.2 and the source compatible with 1.3

The reason for this recommendation to WTP is that there are many platforms and JRE's that adopters build on (with all or some with subsets of WTP), and many still at 1.4 (or lower!?) level, so we can not yet "pre-req" Java 5.0 for all WTP users or adopters, and we want to match what the Eclipse base does.

There may be some exceptions, and this is where the real complications will arise. Some functions that are being considered for WTP 1.5 (such as JSR 188) will require Java 5 to work, so, we must insure all function and plugins that require Java 5.0, have an "execution context" specified, so if running in 1.4, they will not be activated, and that function simply not available (gracefully). So ... anyone contributing such function also needs to contribute to our build process, to use correct compiler settings for Java 5.0 pre-req plugins, plus improve the JUnit test process so correct JRE is used when testing Java 5.0 function.

I'm sure this is disappointing to many who love using the 5.0 language constructs, but, unless there is a "project need", then we can not yet use these for our programming convenience or productivity.

Naturally, if any one in community (including committers! :) have any concerns or questions about this restriction, please discuss.

*"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>*
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/17/2006 12:13 PM
Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
	[wtp-dev] Compiler level on the 1.5 stream

Is the 1.5 code stream being built with a Java 5.0 compiler? If it is, are 5.0 language constructs allowed in the 1.5 code stream? - Konstantin_______________________________________________
wtp-dev mailing list
wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx