[wtp-dev] Status of RC3: explaination of JUnit result changes

Just so everyone knows the same thing,

if any of you watch wtp-releng closely, you would have noticed that the
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 -- 05:22 (UTC)
version of RC3 had some JUnit failures, twice, and then did not.

Here's the explaination. When I first noticed the JUnit failures, I immediately re-ran the
tests again, and they failed again. Then, the next morning, I re-ran the tests again, and they
succeeded.

I think what's happening here, especially given some recent posts on newsgroup, is that sometimes
a server from which we try to get DTDs/Schemas  can sometimes be having "special" problems
which we do not handle well. I have opened following two bugs to improve our testing and handling
of these cases in future .. but, I don't think there's a fundamental problem or regression in our code.

120275 maj wst.xml We should never ever catch Exception and do nothing with it
120277 nor wst.inte We should test the many cases of server responses when getting remote resources

Just FYI, after all the above "re-tests", I re-ran complete build "from scratch", just to make sure there
was not a fluke in our "re-test" procedure.
This was the
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 -- 17:34 (UTC)
version of RC3. And it succeeded. Its actual code content should be identical with the 05:22 version,
but if/when I declare an RC3 today, it will be with the 17:34 version, since it was done "from scratch".

Back to the top