[wtp-dev] Cool URLs for Component Overview Documents

We decided to introduce "cool" URLs for component overview documents. Thes URLs are cool beause they don't change. The component.xml files should refer to these cool URLs.

The naming convention is: http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/components/<component-name>/

where <component-name> is the fully qualified component name. e.g.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/components/org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.core/

is the URL for the org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.core component. For more examples, see the latest API Progress Report [1],

Note that the URL ends in a slash. This allows us to change the implementation without breaking the URL. For example, there might be an index.html or index.php in the directory, or we might map the URL to a servlet.

The actual overview document can be located anywhere. The URL redirects to the actual location. For example, at present, the overview documents are being served out of CVS. Later, when we have a stable InfoCentre, we'll redirect there.

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/drops/I-I200511281843-200511281843/apiresults/api-progress.html

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077