Re: [wtp-dev] On the Correct Use of Bug Severities

I've created an entry in the committer FAQ for this. See http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/faq/CommitterFAQ.html#general_4

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/17/2005 05:12 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

[wtp-dev] On the Correct Use of Bug Severities

On our status call today it became apparent that there is a lot of variability in the use of the Severity field. We need to triage the bugs for WTP 1.0 so it's important that we adopt a consistent use of severities. Although this is somewhat of a judgement call, we should use the standard definitions [1].

All component owners should double check the Blocker/Critical/Major bugs to make sure they are accurately described. Thx.

Here are the definitions:

This field describes the impact of a bug.
Blocks development and/or testing work
crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak
major loss of function
minor loss of function, or other problem where easy workaround is present
cosmetic problem like misspelled words or misaligned text
Request for enhancement

A user may feel strongly about their favourite bug, but we should still classify it correctly. We do have some leeway in assigning it a priority, i.e.if we feel that a bug should be fixed, we can up its priority. P1 should be reserved for release-defining functions, .i.e we stop ship if P1's are not fixed.

This field describes the importance and order in which a bug should be fixed. This field is utilized by the programmers/engineers to prioritize their work to be done. The available priorities range from P1 (most important) to P5 (least important.)

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/bug_status.html#bug_severity

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077