[wtp-dev] FYI: Notice of migration limitations from WTP 0.7 to WTP 1.0

FYI: I just posted following to our newsgroup ... hopefully we'll get some "real life" migration tests
to help us catch anything we've overlooked.

= = = = = = =

Subject: Notice of migration limitations from WTP 0.7 to WTP 1.0

There's been various notes and discussion on "the developers" mailing lists, but I wanted
to be sure the wider community was also aware of some general changes and issues that
might effect your migration from projects based on WTP 0.7 to projects based on WTP 1.0.
Sorry if this is repeating things, but wanted to be sure it was widely announced ahead of time.
These notes apply to WTP M9 as well as the final release of WTP 1.0.

First, the biggest functionaly change. After much debate and investigation, it was decided that we
could never well support multiple modules per project, so we removed this capability in 1.0.
While I think it was not easy to create multiple modules per project in 0.7, and we hope
not many people did, ... if you did, then when
you move to WTP 1.0, you may have some special migration steps. Let us know (here or open
bugs you find) if you find issues here.

Second, the potentially more team-impacting change,
due to some large changes in the way projects meta data is managed, the migration from
0.7 based projects to 1.0 based projects is basically one time and one way.
We (WTP Version 1) will automatically "migrate" a version 0.7 project to what is needed for
a Version 1.0 environment. But once that's done, there's no easy or automatic way to "go back"
to the 0.7 development environment and use the exact same project "as is" that was created or
migrated for the 1.0 version. So, the implications are 1) keep a back up  (always a good idea, right?).
and, more the point, ... 2) this limitation effects teams who work on projects together, typically
shared via some repository.

For teams with shared projects, it implies once one person on the team moves
up to 1.0, the whole team has to move up to 1.0.
This was certainly not our intention from the beginning, but as time went on, and the
magnitude of the effort assessed, the committers and PMC agreed that the cost of
allowing "co-existence" of development environments was simply too high to be containable.

And, we did want to reassure everyone we are well aware of this requirement, and are confident
in our ability to avoid these "one way" traps in the next release (1.0 to 1.5).

You should be able to do early tests migrating your projects with our latest I-build, see
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/I-I200511162235-200511162235/

If nothing else, hopefully this "early" notice will allow you to schedule a time
your whole team can move up to WTP 1.0 (which is still scheduled for 12/16).

As always, let us know if there are questions or problems ... and, as always, test early, test
often, and open bugs as you find them.

Back to the top