[wtp-dev] Shipping quality APIs

As you’re all aware, the 1.0 release of WTP includes our initial APIs. With these, we join the platform and other Eclipse projects in providing a binding contract with our adopters to provide them high quality support now and in the future. To meet these contracts, we have to do certain things:

  • Ensure that all APIs are complete by M9; any suggestions for subsequent modifications of any type require PMC approval and community notification if approved.
  • Ensure that all APIs are tested by 12/2.
  • Ensure that all APIs are documented by 12/2.
  • If you are responsible for APIs, verify that the recent list is correct for 1.0; this will be the list we publicize to the world.
  • Component leads, please ensure that high quality “executive summary” information has been documented using the website and JavaDoc package summaries. As part of meeting the Eclipse Quality Guidelines, which call out the following essential aspect of APIs:

    1. Documented Specification  (at least design overview (if not full design docs), and javadoc).
    2. TestSuite
    3. Implementation
    4. Clients (for us in WTP, that would be at least one WTP client -- either an actual client or at least an example client).

    please provide a "four bullet list" summarizing or linking to these aspects,
    for example, a link to the specification, name of the test suite, the component, feature, or plugin that
    contains the implementation, and brief mention of which component in WTP is a client of the API (or adopters of leaf features, where known).
    Component and JavaDoc package-level summaries should provide sufficient background information so that a reasonable 3rd party could make effective and productive use of our APIs. If there are gaps, omissions, or out-of-date information in any of these, please ensure that they have been updated prior to release.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work on APIs and 1.0 in general. The end game will be challenging, but I’m looking forward to our successful rollout.

Tim

Back to the top